Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time CAM setup

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
malcolm.burnage
185 Views, 2 Replies

First time CAM setup

Hi All

Regular hobbyist follower of Lars on YouTube and its because of that i am as far a long as making a model but no CAM attempt yet.

I created a simple frame that i managed to cut into 4 sections (very pleased with that 🙂 ), and now i move into the CAM.

I will say that i use Vectric VCarve Pro based on how simple it is for me to convert for my CNC Router (HighZ 720 with Kress router)but i really need to go all the way from fusion but paranoid about doing some damage especially as no matter how much i look at it i find it daunting. (CNCRouterParts 2x4 coming soon).

First up is it possible for me to select the large long curved face only and use a very large ballnose cutter just to do this as i would not want to do it all in one go like in VCarve, then change to a smaller ball nose and say do the top curve section with a smaller ballnose, and maybe decide whether to use a long mill to profile cut or try to finish with a bandsaw,i even thought of making some sort of template and just routing by hand but since i got this far i feel i should persevere.

One problem i have is that if this works not only will i have to do these 4 cuts to make the first frame another 10 would be wanted, so best i get cutting 🙂

The size in 25mmx25mmx700mm long for reference and material would be sapele.

Any pointers even if it is to a video that will help me directly as there are so many i just get lost with them all.

Many thanks Malc

Complete FrameComplete FrameFirst section to cut with CAMFirst section to cut with CAM

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

If your machine is rigid enough to handle a large radius tool, yes, you could go that route. Personally, unless you have hundreds of these to make, I'd just use a smaller tool and a Parallel or Scallop toolpath. You will want to first rough it out with another tool, such as a Bull Endmill (flat endmill with a corner radius)

Seth Madore
Owner, Liberty Machine, Inc.
Good. Fast. Cheap. Pick two.
Message 3 of 3

I figure the new cnc machine will handle large cutters but i need to look at 2 things here now

i had not heard of the bull endmill or this parallel or scallop

thank you very much for a starting point

Malc

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators