Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

engraving on a flat surface from the "x direction" on a live tooling lathe without y axis

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
jeff2HS8X
362 Views, 12 Replies

engraving on a flat surface from the "x direction" on a live tooling lathe without y axis

as the title says, I am trying to engrave some text on a flat surface of a part from the machines "x direction" (if that makes sense) on a live tooling lathe that does not have y axis .   basically, we have a part that we will mill a hex feature, and then i need to engrave some text on one of the flats. I have attached a screenshot and a .f3d file that will explain better what i am trying to do.  

I am planning to engrave the text with a small 1/32" ball end mill. the machine would need to move the c,x, & z axis all simultaneously for this to work. i have tried a couple different approaches and am not having any luck, and since i am using a ball mill and only plan to engrave about .005" axially into the flat, it should be entirely possible. maybe this is something that the software isn't capable of yet?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
seth.madore
in reply to: jeff2HS8X

no, this is not possible in the software, as it will always be looking for a Y axis

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 13
craig.chester
in reply to: seth.madore

If you define the toolaxis = TO CURVE...... and your curve is a straight line which is aligned to the rotary axis. Does this provide a solution? Theoretically, it'll not need a Y axis.

Message 4 of 13
seth.madore
in reply to: craig.chester

No, you're correct. However, I'm drawing a blank on what toolpath is available to the general subscriber that will do as you suggest. I know of some Previews we have access to that permit this, but not so much for the rest of the community

Seth Madore
Message 5 of 13
craig.chester

If the user has the Machining Extension, it may be possible to use the PROJECT strategy with the suggested tool axis settings? A single line (centreline) font would need to be used.

As stated, I haven’t tried this, but this is what I would try if time allowed.

Message 6 of 13
jeff2HS8X

well if you remember and wouldn't mind sharing that would be great, i did enable the machining extension for this part with hopes that there is a toolpath that works...

Thanks,

Message 7 of 13
jeff2HS8X

yeah you are right that, theoretically, this is entirely possible without a Y axis, its just a matter of the CAM understanding that as well

Message 8 of 13
seth.madore

@craig.chester thanks for the prodding, that did the trick:

2023-02-01_10h57_24.png

Now to see if I can get it to post out..

Seth Madore
Message 9 of 13
seth.madore

Looks like we have a winner!

2023-02-01_11h06_15.png

Using the stock Doosan Turn/Mill post and setting it to "Lynx" (not "Lynx with Y"), it posts out without any Y moves.

I've attached the file for your review

Seth Madore
Message 10 of 13
jeff2HS8X

Seth, its looking like we are on to something! however, i loaded your file, and i have installed the doosan post with lynx enabled. its giving me an error

Error: Error: Direction is not supported for machine configuration.
Error at line: 1
Error in operation: 'Project3'

it does simulate perfectly though
Message 11 of 13
seth.madore

Interesting. Try this post.

(Note; This is a post that I've been picking away at for my Lynx, there are some differences, but nothing ground-breaking)

Seth Madore
Message 12 of 13
jeff2HS8X

hmmm, that one is giving me same error as well. are you able to post out good code?

Message 13 of 13
seth.madore

Yep, see attached file

Seth Madore

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report