Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a Chamfer Bit

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
DESKTOPMAKES.COM
1181 Views, 4 Replies

Adding a Chamfer Bit

I have these bits that I ordered from Inventables.  They are described as V Carving bits.  I would like to use one of them to make a chamfer on a piece of MDF.  One is 90 degree and the other is a 60 degree one.  I would like to add them to my tool library but am lost as to what to put in for the parameters.  Do I choose it as a chamfer bit or counter sink bit or something else.  I assume the taper angle is not the same as the angles stated below since it is asking for a number less than 90 degrees and one of the bits are described as a 90 degree V bit.  What would I enter for tip diameter? Here is all the info I have from the inventables website:  

v_bits.JPG

desktopmakes.com
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Make it a chamfer mill. The angle is the included angle, so half the tip angle listed. If it's a sharp point, call the tip diameter 0.
Neal Stein

New to Fusion 360 CAM? Click here for an introduction to 2D Milling, here for 2D Turning.

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 3 of 5

Thanks,  I put the same number for diameter and shaft diameter which is .25" since its described as 1/4 inch shank.  Is that correct?  Should they both be the same in this case?  I understand overall length but can you please clarify shoulder length and body length in this case.  Also, does this have 2 flutes?  

drawing.JPG20160628_153641.jpg

desktopmakes.com
Message 4 of 5

Diameter refers to the size of the cutting body which looks to be about .500 if that shank is .25. Shoulder Length is from the tip to the Shoulder between the cutter and the shank. (1-3 tangent through the body). Body length is the length of the entire cutter(1-4 tangentially through the body) .  Overall length is the length of the tool sticking out of the toolholder.  And finally, yes, 2 flutes.

Message 5 of 5

Thanks, I really appreciate the quick response.  

desktopmakes.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report