Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5 Axis Help

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
AllanVarcoe
1266 Views, 21 Replies

5 Axis Help

Hello,

I can't figure out how to make my rotary axis machine a full circle. I have seen an older NYC CNC video on 4th axis programming where he couldn't go 360º but with lead in/out's he made it happen. I tried what he did and it didn't work for me. Odd part is that it works on other features on the same part.

What am I doing wrong?

Attached is the part in question. At the bottom, T6 is the one misbehaving. 🙂 I tried various lengths of a line segment to use as toolpath geometry to no avail.

Thank you all in advance! 
Allan

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
daniel_lyall
in reply to: AllanVarcoe

Something is not quite correct with fusion I am getting toolpaths going in the wrong direction.

Win10 pro | 16 GB ram | 4 GB graphics Quadro K2200 | Intel(R) 8Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User
My Websight, Daniels Wheelchair Customisations.
Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 3 of 22
Anonymous

I made sketch of a rectangle, .001 wide and covering cylinder from edge to edge, extruded sketch to cut the cylinder, picked edge in geometry tab and made sure selected contour is not a continuous circle. 

2019-10-21 18_57_57-Autodesk Fusion 360.png2019-10-21 18_47_50-Autodesk Fusion 360.png

Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Duplicated T6 to finish opposite side.

2019-10-21 20_13_53-Autodesk Fusion 360.png

Message 5 of 22
daniel_lyall

The thing that stopped the wrap toolpath working as intended was the tool orientation, it simply does not work if the setup Z-axis is along the axis not up and down, if it was set to mill-turn it would work fine.

If the Setup orientation is set with X or Y along the center of the model doing all 3 workarounds work and having it set as a partly full radius toolpath how it is meant to be used works, only the one VIC showed and having a sketch the same with a tiny split works with the Z-axis through the center.

Win10 pro | 16 GB ram | 4 GB graphics Quadro K2200 | Intel(R) 8Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Message 6 of 22
Anonymous

You can also make a sketch of a circle, trim .001 wide section of it and use that as contour geometry.

Another way, make sketch of a strait line tangent to cylinder, use as contour geometry and wrap tool path around cylinder.

Anyways, how did that work for you?

Message 7 of 22
AllanVarcoe

I, for some reason, forgot to do the tool orientation on that tool! That was it! Thanks for pointing that out!

On a general note... WHY THE HELL IS IT NOT POSSIBLE TO WRAP A FULL CIRCLE?!?!?! I'm trying to show my boss how easy it is to use Fusion 360 the other day and then I run into this!

Anyways, I do still really enjoy the experience as a whole and I know I need more time on Fusion. Been using it full time since January of 2018. Mostly from a 3 axis point of view so this is a bit new still.

Message 8 of 22
Anonymous

I never changed tool orientation, I cut the surface because F360 has issue with unwrapping continuous surface or circle.

Cutting surface also cut the edge I used as geometry and tool path ended where it started, (minus that .001).

Message 9 of 22
AllanVarcoe

Defining a starting point on an adaptive toolpath is possible. I don't get why there can't be a start point on a wrap toolpath. Either way, it's no big deal to lay down geometry and use that.

Message 10 of 22
Anonymous

I may be wrong on this but I think the main issue is not start point but rather inability to determine where cylindrical surface or circle stops if there is no break in it.

I don't have issues with outlined pockets being wrapped so I think that's the clue.

Message 11 of 22
daniel_lyall

@Anonymous  It is more that it is axis substitution.

So a contour is a line with a start and end if the setups orientation of the Z-axis is along the model then it is the way you do it with a break in the model or sketch going around the model if it is with X or Y through the model then a line will work and your way as well.

A pocket is a closed area 2D adaptive same thing a closed area it is going from flat to round.

Fusion could handle all these better, other programs I have a wrap toolpath is simple as mud to do and work with many different shapes.

When I started using fusion this did not exist a user did a edite to a post for me that allowed a toolpath to be wrapped it was X to a or Y to A.   

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Message 12 of 22
Anonymous
in reply to: daniel_lyall

So here is simple case, I extruded back side of slug that was setup as Mill-Turn, tried to pick model edge for 2D contour and wrap tool path around extruded cylinder,.......... NOT HAPPENING.

2019-10-23 18_03_21-Autodesk Fusion 360.png2019-10-23 18_58_05-Autodesk Fusion 360.png

Made a sketch of a circle and distinct, visible break in it so that circle is just a curved line, has start and end, ...... now I have tool path.

2019-10-23 18_15_34-Autodesk Fusion 360.png2019-10-23 18_16_19-Autodesk Fusion 360.png

So my conclusion is that tool orientation and axis substitution, mill or mill-turn setup has nothing to do with it.

Error message in first screenshot is all that matters, split the surface or sketch so that there is start and end of a feature and there is no problem.

You talked about tool orientation and axis substitution, I don't see where tool orientation plays any role in mill-turn or mill setup related to this issue.

I lost you on that, can you provide sample file with issue you encountered?

Message 13 of 22
Anonymous

@AllanVarcoe wrote:

I, for some reason, forgot to do the tool orientation on that tool! That was it! Thanks for pointing that out!

On a general note... WHY THE HELL IS IT NOT POSSIBLE TO WRAP A FULL CIRCLE?!?!?! I'm trying to show my boss how easy it is to use Fusion 360 the other day and then I run into this!

Anyways, I do still really enjoy the experience as a whole and I know I need more time on Fusion. Been using it full time since January of 2018. Mostly from a 3 axis point of view so this is a bit new still.

Turns out I did tool orientation as part of the solution but that alone was NOT the solution.

I downloaded your original file and only thing I did to it this time was to set tool orientation using flat face.

I then picked edge of cylinder and marked wrap tab, hit OK and ............. NO PARTY, ...... NO FIREWORKS, ....

NO TOOL PATH.

looks like we have to stick with having to split the surface or circle in case of sketch.

2019-10-23 19_21_09-Autodesk Fusion 360.png2019-10-23 19_21_30-Autodesk Fusion 360.png

2019-10-23 19_22_25-Nav_QTView_(102)NavToolbar.png

Message 14 of 22
daniel_lyall

I meant the workarounds are fine and doing as intended with a partial section of a radius so it has a gap in it works as intended with mill-turn with the setup WCS haveing Z inline with the model as it is meant to be.

I am really bad at explaining my self when sober.

Here is every way I know to wrap a contour using a 4th axis and mill-turn 

This is where I learned this from for fusion https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrx-8M8nRa-rNlkwIowx6Kw

Anything else needed yell out.😁

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Message 15 of 22
AllanVarcoe

Vic,

I already had an incomplete circle geometry selected. All I did was uncheck wrap, check tool orientation, set tool orientation, check wrap(which unchecks Tool Orientation) and hit ok. Presto! Worked. 

I had tried all different lengths of circular geometry before so thats why there is such a short line segment selected.

As for there being no endpoint to a cylindrical feature.... my point with comparing Adaptive toolpaths is, if you can pick a place to start on an Adaptive, why can't you pick a point to start AND END on a wrap? I mean, you're right, they have made a SINGLE axis move take FAR too long to program. I can't believe there is even a need to have a discussion on this. 

Message 16 of 22
AllanVarcoe

At least workarounds can get it done, I'm just disappointed in the fact of there being a need to have workarounds. 

Thanks for linking your videos! I wish I had found them a while ago. Ha!

Message 17 of 22
Anonymous

I can't answer why we can't pick point to start and finish but at this stage I am convinced that wrapping tool path around cylinder requires cutting that cylinder or circle, otherwise Fusion loses its marbles and doesn't know where head or tail is.

Message 18 of 22
AllanVarcoe

Haha! That is a fact! 

Thank you for all your help!

Message 19 of 22
Anonymous

@Anonymous  99% of the time it has to be cylindrical sometimes it works on a curve 

Message 20 of 22
Anonymous

@daniel_lyall wrote:

The thing that stopped the wrap toolpath working as intended was the tool orientation, it simply does not work if the setup Z-axis is along the axis not up and down, if it was set to mill-turn it would work fine.

If the Setup orientation is set with X or Y along the center of the model doing all 3 workarounds work and having it set as a partly full radius toolpath how it is meant to be used works, only the one VIC showed and having a sketch the same with a tiny split works with the Z-axis through the center.

I just set up a simple slug as mill-turn and tried to produce 2D adaptive or contour tool path wrapped around diameter of a slug.

It has same problem as when set up as 4th axis mill,........... and same solution so clearly demonstrated in above posts, so now I am really curious as to how you come up with these claims.

I'd like to see a sample file in which you are able to show that it "works fine" if setup as mill-turn.

2019-10-25 20_32_37-Autodesk Fusion 360.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report