Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4th axis rotary engraving stick lettering

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
genxmachining.mill
877 Views, 10 Replies

4th axis rotary engraving stick lettering

I am looking to engrave the simplex font on a cylinder OD using the 4th axis. I am only able to wrap the toolpath using 2D contour but it does not fully engrave the text, only randomly misplaced line segments. Compensation is set to "OFF".

I prefer not to use 3D Project because the text along the cylinder can be quite long.

Any ideas?

Labels (4)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: genxmachining.mill

The other option is a little more annoying but works, project text onto cylinder only deep enough to show full character.

Draw a sketch line from center of cylinder thru middle of each character on same plane, use those lines as tool orientation to index A axis and engrave each character using Trace tool path and axial offset for depth.

2021-01-30 08_48_51-Autodesk Fusion 360.png

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous

Looking closer at picture you uploaded, it looks like you are using tool orientation because lines are straight, not following curvature of cylinder, you need to use wrap function.

Message 4 of 11
genxmachining.mill
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymousthank you for your response. Unfortunately "project to surface" didn't work with the stick lettering Simplex fonts. It doesn't even let me select the curves. And yes, wrap toolpath was selected, it is just the angle of the photo. Still stumped as to why it only engraves seemingly random lines.

Message 5 of 11

Without a file, it's anyone's guess. Can you share it?
File > Export > Save to local folder, return to thread and attach the .f3d file in your reply

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 6 of 11

Thanks for your reply @seth.madore . I have mocked up a test file demonstrating the same issue. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

I made few changes, give tool some depth below model surface, eliminate lead in / out, use in computer compensation.

Lead in / out adds tails to each character, if inner depth is same as model top, tool hovers over model.

I got full tool path after selecting 'In computer" compensation, "off" setting gives partial tool path.

2021-01-31 10_13_03-Autodesk Fusion 360.png

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous

If you want tool to follow exact lines, use sharp tip on tool, no flat.

Message 9 of 11
genxmachining.mill

@Anonymous Awesome thank you very much for your help

Message 10 of 11
qcrispin

When the diameter is reduced to 1.5" it becomes apparent the text is not truly wrapped around the surface. Years ago I solved this by plugging my 4th axis stepper into my Y-axis port and faking steps/inch until the text wasn't stretched. Would love not to have to do that again if there's a clean way to do it in Fusion. Seems like there should be?Screenshot 2023-10-07 11-31-58.png

Message 11 of 11
seth.madore
in reply to: qcrispin

Currently, the only really good way of doing stick font engraving on a rotary axis is to use Multi-Axis Contour, set it to 5-axis and then set the Primary Mode "to curve". Select a sketch line that goes thru the center of rotation and there you have it, a neat wrapped text (this assumes you've got the actual text wrapped on the surface, of course)

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report