Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

‘3D Contour’

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
andy.concept303
234 Views, 3 Replies

‘3D Contour’

Hi all

I’m sure this must be a simple operation but it’s being a headache….  I quite often find the need to perform a ‘3D contour’, i.e. a finish pass of a fillet against a vertical wall with a ball nosed tool, but where the floor of the part is not flat and horizontal.  I would typically 3D surface the floor with say a parallel toolpath leaving a small radial stock to leave, and then finish the fillet ideally with the same tool. Obviously if the floor was flat / horizontal I’d just use a 2D contour, but just can’t seem to come up with a simple solution when it’s not. Tried Trace and Pencil but no joy.  I realise there's a 'pay for' option called 'multi-axis contour', but can't believe what I'm trying to do can't be done with the standard toolpaths.  Attached is a simple example I threw together (note parallel direction is intentional), the missing finish pass would be the '3D contour' to finish the wall and fillet.  Anyone advise?  Many thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

I just tried 2d trace and pencil and both seemed to work fine, I did have to make a patch to get to tool to come right off the work.

see attatched

Message 3 of 4
yd_kwon
in reply to: andy.concept303

Try prject toolpath.

Cap 2022-06-22 13-29-40-677.jpg

CAM-Fusion 360/Inventor
CAD-Fusion 360/Inventor
Before PowerMILL
Message 4 of 4

Wow thanks so much guys, all so simple!  Doh!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report