Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2D Engrave fails on circular contours

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
aa7bq
1258 Views, 20 Replies

2D Engrave fails on circular contours

I have made an example project to illustrate this behavior.  See  http://a360.co/2lMzcFs

I first discovered than on an engraving job that contained a number of circular features (dots), that some of the dots were being silently dropped out of the chain.  There was no indication of anything wrong from F360, but the results beg otherwise.

I begin this exercise with an ordinary body having a 5x5 grid of holes.   In Engrave, I selected all of the hole contours along with an ordinary 45 degree chamfer bit.

Screen Shot 2017-02-27 at 9.41.49 AM.png

Now here's where it fails.   The toolpath in this instance only found 3 of the holes out of 25.   These holes were created with a rectangular pattern in sketch mode and are all identical.   Whats worse is that the behavior isn't consistent.  Sometimes the Engrave routine will find more, or fewer holes, but never all of them.   Sometimes, if the body is edited, made larger or smaller, the number of holes chained will change.  Oddly, non-circular holes do not have this problem.   For example, if I create a center-to-center slot with 0.001 between the centers, Engrave has no problem with that.   The problem only manifests itself with circles.   

Screen Shot 2017-02-27 at 9.42.05 AM.png

The holes which were chained produce the expected result and engrave correctly.   The problem is that it silently drops features that are circular.  

While I'm new to Fusion 360, I'm a professional software developer of 25 years.  This looks like a bug.

Again, this project has been made public at:  http://a360.co/2lMzcFs

Thanks in advance,

-fred

20 REPLIES 20
Message 21 of 21
seth.madore
in reply to: aa7bq

Yeah Mark, considering this is the second time in as many weeks that this has cropped up....

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report