Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NPT pipe threads

NPT pipe threads

Please add NPT pipe threads to the thread options in the thread dialog box. Tnx!

293 Comments
mcnurlin
Contributor

NPT pipe thread dimensions can be found in ASME B1.20.1

mikegem
Advocate

Understood, and thank you.

I was really getting at extending the utility of the thread options dialog box by adding NPT to the many other standard thread schemes already available. It's very nice, for example, that I don't have to look up 1/4-20 UNC standards when I want a 1/4-20 threaded hole - just select my nominal .25" diameter hole, make a thread and pick 1/4-20 UNC. Voila! Hole diameter now conforms to 1/4-20 UNC specs. That capability would be useful to have in NPT threads, as well.

robzr
Explorer

Definitely!  I am looking forward to this functionality.

garin
Alumni

For curiosity sake what kind of product are you making that NPT threads would be useful. Is this for large equipment needing large diameter pipes or small?

garin
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

robzr
Explorer

Hi garin, I'm looking for 1/8 and 1/4 NTP threads; nothing exotic or huge!

regards

Rob

Lonnie.Cady
Advisor

I could also use NPT threads form 1/8"- 2".

Would be nice to have them modeled with a proper taper to drive the tread mill in Fusion CAM

tkmoore
Participant

I don't believe it is of importance what one needs the npt thread option for, it's the principal that npt thread is extrememly common and should be included in the thread profile list. I use npt thread sizes up to 4 inch on a regular basis., you may use less common BSPP - regardless we should both have to right to what we need . . .GARIN

pendlej
Enthusiast

Adding NPT pipe threads would be really beneficial.

CGPM
Collaborator

How long do we have to wait?????????  You now have 5 different pipe threads but still don't have NPT?

robzr
Explorer

I think the issue is that the thread algorithms they use do not support generating tapered threads yet, which is why BSPP is supported, but NPT is not.  If we keep asking hopefully it will prioritize this higher for them; but it may not be a trivial change on their end. 

Rob

shiftycow
Community Visitor

@Anonymous I'm designing a small manifold for 1/4" NPT fittings and would also like to see this option. An option for tapered holes would also be convenient.

brianrepp
Community Manager
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Fueler
Collaborator

Please Add 1/16-27  NPT to that list.

Automotive pieces can go as large as 3/4-14 NPT

Industrial on up to 4-8 NPT

thanks

eric.peterson
Enthusiast

2nd that.  Pretty typical to tap forged and cast steel parts modeled in Fusion to match NPTM fittings that will fit into them.  Most of the time we don't even need the perfect model of the threads,  just the callout on the drawing and model information text fields to be correct.

WyzeOwl
Advocate

Would be really neat to see add hole feature with choices of threads to install. Having to add hole then go an add thread in two different operations is one of those annoying things in Fusion right now.

hb4Work
Contributor

Almost all of our products use NPT threads. Without them our drawings look a little silly!

promm
Alumni
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Thank you for your idea, this is getting changed to future consideration.  Once works begins, it will be changed to accepted.

Cheers,

Mike Prom

Big_Mak
Advocate

Seems assinine to me that NPT threads are left out.  This needs to be added. for mold designs, piping pressure vessels, automotive. All kinds of uses for NPT threads.

I have come across more NPT threads in my 20+ years of machining then the other pipe thread options combined.

leesty
Advocate

Wow. My first real model I am doing and I need to turn some NPT threads on the lathe. Not supported. That is a shame. Time to break out the pipe die kit. Back to the iron age we go. 😉

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea