Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Absolute coordinates & grid-level guides

Absolute coordinates & grid-level guides

Users often need to set parts in positions that are relative to a general frame of reference. As it stands the current Construction option-set only considers planes, lines and points relative to the features of a body or sketch. Moreover, there is no feature to directly create construction lines at offset positions from body edges, faces or points. Most vector drawing applications offer a global reference via canvas-level guides.

In the case of Fusion, the user would have the ability to draw/create sketches/bodies by placing vertices on absolute coordinate values within the grid.

Currently there is no way to specify the coordinates of a vertex when inserting a point.

The user would have by default the grid's centre as the origin of the coordinate system, or define a custom origin.

Grid-level guide overlays could be defined at specific coordinates. The process of creating guides would be similar to the 'insert edge' command: The function would insert color-coded grid lines at precise coordinates (interactively, and/or by typing a value) within the grid. All three grid planes would support their own set of guides. Guides could be toggled in one of two modes: Orthographic would mean the guides would move with the grid planes, and 3D would mean the guides would remain as line segments in space, independently of the grid plane they were created on.

20 Comments

Requests for absolute coordinates seem to keep coming up and that seems to be exquisitly simple to implement (I'd almost not be surprised if there were already absolute coordinates somewhere under the hood that are being hidden from the users for convienence).. it might be nice to have a «clean» and «expert» UI modes maybe even selectable across the app, by group of activities, and by panel.

Helmi74
Collaborator

An absolute coordinate system would truly be helpful in some cases but like scott already indicated that could be a bit problematic UI wise. I don't know if clean/expert would be a good idea, i'd rather vote for optionally shown coordinates from the WCS. If switched on it would be great to be able to enter the values when placing objects.

This is all kind of related to other ideas that already came up here and that were also related to positioning things in the 3d space of Fusion360 but it's great to have this global coordinate system as a suggesstion - i think we didn't have this before.

schneik-adsk
Community Manager
Status changed to: オートデスク今後検討

ian.porteous
Explorer

Please make absolute positioning easier or possible.

cwlandorf
Explorer

Yes!  This has been driving me insane!  I use AutoCAD at work, and use absolute coordinates all of the time.  To come home and work on this is madening.  I have a lot to learn on this program, but absolute coordinates would make my life a lot easier in terms of designing things.

promm
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Thank you for your idea, the future consideration is for the request to have this functionality relative to bodies.  

Regards,

Mike Prom

terbeest
Participant

Definitely need this!

|

\/

Screen Shot 2016-12-22 at 10.14.19 PM.png

jeffglitchless
Participant

This would be very helpful. Upvoted.

hannesBB3ME
Explorer

still not there ?! 😞

dipirrom
Explorer

Upvote.  At a minimum I would like to see absolute cursor position status in the status bar... especially for sketches.  Absolute positioning (type in values) would be icing on the cake.

camhamilton
Observer

Upvote. As an AutoCad 2d/3d and Inventor user there are times when this would be beneficial. Thanks!!

szczepaniecND9BD
Community Visitor

Upvote. It is driving me nuts not having it.

rfassberg
Explorer
Upvote from me too. This would be extremely helpful when trying to position features.
DataDink
Community Visitor

This, to me, is an industry-wide, fundamental feature of usability and experience. I'm trying really hard to put this tool in my belt, but this one thing makes other software packages so much more appealing.

I find this feature would be very helpful in controlling where you place features, now it's a little "hope for the best" when you place something.

Also that you can add a reference point at endpoints and midpoints of features to help place new ones correct.

george.111
Participant

+1 upvote

msportster
Community Visitor

Having used adobe illustrator a lot a coordinate system in sketch mode would make it much easier to use. I find it very difficult to precisely place elements or edit the positions.

russell.withers
Community Visitor

upvote! coordinates are a must how are they not already in the program

jacalvinho
Participant

how is it possible for not even to be considered from the very start. This is crucial! having the possibility to check the XYZ coordinates of a point, no matter where it is (space, bodies and sketches) its essential. If all cad/cam softwares has it how is it possible to miss that need.   

RonCron
Community Visitor

Five and one half years and still not available.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report