Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Untrim Tool

Untrim Tool

Fusion offers no untrim

while it offers extend, extend is not often the better approach

and untrim would be much faster

it is also a cleaner workflow

the solid modeling heal function can sometimes not solve a problem which is when you have

to go into patch mode and as a designer I rather want to have access to the original surfaces

then having to deal with what result the extend command Fusion gives me to which often are

not ideal - extend surface in general is not an ideal result (not just in Fusion).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byzv_NlyKp_2WWd5NHJNNVJiQzg/view

for the sake of combining solid and surface modeling in a workflow this is a really missing tool

3 Comments
PTERRY
Enthusiast

Just ran into this today. A surface trim was inverted on import. Should have been a quick unrim and re-trim. I had to do all kinds of stuff to work around.

cekuhnen
Mentor

@PTERRY

yeah it seems to me that most people who grew up with solid modelers seem not to value the usability of un trim.

While it is more a tool common in surface modelers Fusion also offers surfaces and thus would benefit from offering this in addition to extend.

what I find most interesting about the pro-extend comment is that untrim gives me the original surface back while extend adjusts the surface and often not in a way I wish it would do it.

Not fusions fault - but extend is a tricky tool - the software has to predict understand how you want to to extend

DWhiteley
Advisor

This is a must for CNC machining. I know you can patch, but if you get the tangencies wrong then you have bad toolpath. It is much better to un-trim.

Dave

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report