Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Form Tool Support for Tool Library

Form Tool Support for Tool Library

The "Form Tool" option from HSMexpress to support custom tool profiles; like tread mills, or other odd shape mills. This would be a great benefit to make building a tool library. It can be confusing how to enter tools, especially for new users and those that are new to CAM in general.

13 Comments
al.whatmough
Alumni
Status changed to: オートデスク審査落選

Custom form tool remains in the backlog.

[video]

verkstadsdator
Advocate

Oh YEAH!Smiley Very Happy

CGPM
Collaborator

I currently, and probably for many years, make a part that I use 2 tools and 4 passes to make.  With a form tool I should be able to get by with 1 tool and 1 pass.  The problem is I am not sure a single tool can cut all features correctly.  I NEED to simulate this to be sure it will work before spending $700 on some form tools only to find out I need 2 form tools instead.  This feature is not always one of convenience, sometimes it is necessary.

cj.abraham
Alumni

Preview:Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 20.18.47.png

al.whatmough
Alumni

thanks for posting the image @cj.abraham

al.whatmough
Alumni

It is getting closer

IMG_20170928_102338563.jpg

screen_shot_2017-09-28_at_10.25.18.png

eod9910
Contributor

OMG YES!

lukasz_krzewicki
Participant

When is this coming out? 😄

keqingsong
Community Manager
Status changed to: Implemented
NYC_CNC
Advocate

Anyone get this working?  We modeled up a rail cutter, successfully created the form tool, but then get an error "Form Tool:  Model has 1 missing selections" when trying to create a 2D Contour with it.  F3D File: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwlaAQWLUgZTM2ZqVzFtbnA0UU0/view?usp=sharing

cj.abraham
Alumni

@NYC_CNC I can reproduce in your file, but I'm still able to made and use form tools in other files. I'll create a ticket for this case.

CAM-8728

balsmen
Autodesk

@NYC_CNC, I just tested with your model. It looks like somehow the model selection in your setup disappeared somehow. We've seen this happen occasionally but have yet to find a way to consistently reproduce it.

That being said, to make your Form Mill contour work, you just need to edit the Setup, clear your model selection (where it says "Missing") under the Model group, and then re-select the model, click OK, and regenerate your contour.

jameswyatthopkins
Participant

I noticed the change in the way tools are entered in the tool library, but still would like to see the drill point thread mill addressed in the near future due to the tremendous improvement it would make in mine and in a lot of other users processes that utilize this fantastic tool we know as Fusion. Fusion 360 is a very powerful tool and the ability to attain this functionality would make it an even more desirable and powerful tool. I have been using this product for two years now and barely have scraped the surface of its usefulness yet it has made things possible for me. Keep up the great improvements. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report