Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request for plywood shaders

Request for plywood shaders

I really love the new wood shaders, I think it would be awesome if you could exten the collection wood shaders to include wood boards like plywood, particleboard and OSB

plywood .jpg

17 Comments
phazaar
Contributor

Came online just to request this 🙂 

Wood rendering is so pretty now, but using some of that great endgrain bump mapping to include plywood (which is probably more ubiquitous than hard woods in both design and manufacture nowadays) would be great.

Throw in bent woods for furniture and I'll have to buy the devs a drink or two 😉

sprior913
Advocate

I jusr finished designing a stool that was going to be cut with a CNC out of plywood and the edges left as is.  Lots of things are built that way out of baltic birch plywood and it would be nice to be able to render them that way.

aeleus
Participant

The April 27, 2016 update added Particle Board, Hard Board, and MDF Board!

Thank you! Smiley Happy

But... still no plywood. Smiley Sad

colin.smith
Alumni
Status changed to: オートデスク審査落選

Plywood will be in the late October release this year.

sprior913
Advocate

Awesome!  Thanks

kboronka
Observer

looking forward to plywood!

skubie
Advocate

October has come and gone and still no plywood. 😞

j_brister
Explorer

Any update on plywood?

baptzmoffire
Community Visitor

+1  It'd be awesome to be able to render in plywood!  Have some guitar speaker cabinets I'm designing for a friend and it would be nice to be able to show the box joint details as they will be in the finished product.  Please include 14-ply per 3/4".

kai.tolley
Explorer

In the midst of my GCSE DT project, I am using Fusion 360 to create a 3D model for my portfolio. My finished piece (a magazine rack) will be made out of beech plywood and beech dowel, which, unfortunately, do not exist in the current list of materials.

It would be extremely useful if these were added to the materials list, not just for DT students, but for all users, as it has a wide range of uses, from aircraft parts to chairs.

On a sidenote, if anyone does know how to create realistic-looking beech or beech plywood, then please comment a method, or a link to a method on how to do so.

2018-01-07 (1).png2018-01-07.pngThanks in advance!

Tags (3)
urkee
Participant

You can create thin box (dimensions of one layer of plywood sheet you are making model), copy it in desired number of layers (plywood always has odd number of layeres) and rotate layers 2,4,6... 90 degrees. Every layer should have F360 3D solid wood appearance to make realistic plywood. That is for plywood from F360 3D solid wood library. I think you can make realistic beech plywood (if you have square parts) render but you need to make custom material.  

For rendering dowels (round parts), we need 3D solid beech wood!

render plywood.png

kai.tolley
Explorer
Thank you so much; you've been a great help!
I think it would possibly be useful if there was a shortcut for the plywood making process-you select the number of layers you want, and the wood for each one.
sprior913
Advocate

What ever happened to plywood?

lucasproko
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

This project unfortunately turned out to be more difficult than initially imagined, and was unable to be completed. The possibility is still there for the future, but not in the near term.

Sorry for the miscommunication.

skubie
Advocate

@lucasproko Unfortunate but understandable. Appreciate the update!

suitX8Z5V
Observer

any news on this topic? Baltic Birch Plywood is a pretty common construction material and would be really useful

urkee
Participant

Problem with plywood is that it could not be assigned as material to any object size like other F360 materials. Plywood has standard sheet size 2500x1250  and 4,6,8,9,10,12,15,18,21,24,30,35 and 40 mm thickness options. So you cannot assign plywood to 3500x200x80 component, something like that does not exist, you need to join components for that.

I made new parametric component for 18mm - 13 layer plywood. First feature in timeline is box (first layer of plywood) that is after copied and rotated. Edit box feature, put length between 0-2500 and widht between  0-1250 and you will get needed piece, even layers of dark UF adhesive are presented for realistic look. Do not change box thickness, it is set for 18mm plywood. If you need some irregular shape cut it your own way. You can also change to any F360 solid wood appearance. 

Dimensions are from SVEZA birch plywood, veener layer is 1.26mm and adhesive layer is 0.135mm. The veener could be more realistic, because plywood has peeled veener and this one is sliced.  This metod could be done for all other plywood thicknesses.

https://a360.co/2ZFqzxK

PLYWOOD 18MM v2.png

2019-05-11 22.22.45.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report