Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrap sketch on curved surface

Wrap sketch on curved surface

Hi everyone,

While designing a product that made use of a similar mechanism to a retractable pen I realized there was no way for me to draw correctly! Therefore I would like to request new functionality that will help us out working with curved surfaces:

The retractable pen mechanism makes use of a surface which is extruded from the center of the shaft outwards. To be able to create something like this we will need a function to wrap a 2D sketch around a 3D object such as a cylinder, then the extrude function will need to be able to extrude perpendicular to the surface of the wrapped sketch.
I believe that for many curved models we will need additional functionality to be able to draw these designs with Fusion 360. To illustrate how common these situations actually are I've put together a few examples:

Hoofdafbeelding.png

To wrap a sketch around a curved surface will not only give us the possibility to create rotational mechanisms such as the pen and the bayonet coupling, but it will also create the possibility to emboss and create custom threads easily! 

I realize that some of the above examples can be made using some tricks that make it look like it is correct, but please realize that as long as we cannot extrude perpendicular to a curved surface; the angles of our extrusion will be all wrong. See the following illustration, left would be the situation I suggest vs. the current situation on the right:

illustratie.png

Please let me know what you think and feel free to add any suggestion!

74 Comments
iandavlin
Participant

I am attempting to perforate a cylinder with a tremendous amount of tiny holes. Right now, my best guess is to plot a polygon outside of the cylinder and add a tremendous amount of sketch planes around the cylinder. Would it be possible to layout a sketch plane based on the area of the cylinder, plot my holes and then wrap the sketch around the cylinder to cut the holes? It would also be nice to pattern construction items too. If all else failed it would be nice to plot X amount of evenly spaced planes around the cylider. 

promm
Alumni
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Thank you for idea - this is getting archived due to lack of support.  Currently you can create a hole and use our pattern tool to have multiple holes around a cylinder.  We are also considering a future enhancement of wrapping a sketch to a surface.  This is different because we do not plan on laying out the sketch based off of the area of the geometry.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure what is meant by "lack of support".  Isn't he just asking for a wrap-projection to surface?  Hasn't that been asked like a ton of times?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Very new to Fusion 360 and the ability to do this may already be there but I can not figure it out.

Say you have a box 120X120X120mm and I want to wrap text around two or three side rasied say .5 mm.

Am I missing something or can you not do it?

Seems like a simple thing, bend or fold at edge.

Thanks

Hunter

Tags (1)
Burnum
Enthusiast

I can thint of many tiMessage it would be nice to wrap a sketch around a curved surface. I'm looking at one right get now... (Curved light fixture with patterns of perforations ) 

think a soup can.

wrap a label around it.

that label would be a flat 360 sketch you can apply and move around. And even apply more than once (instance) and place in different places. 

Burnum
Enthusiast

Wow... So many type on iPad errors...  Sorry 

bkgoodman
Enthusiast

This has been suggested many times. The problem is that no one single rendition of it seems to get enough votes to attract attention...

Burnum
Enthusiast

Maybe someone will notice AGAIN and join the votes together? I guess there is some way to put text on a curved surface and place it where you want... (i'm new and haven't found that yet) how hard could it be?

Like I said before, I can think of MANY times it would be nice. Even required for some things.

Anonymous
Not applicable

+1

Need this feature, hungry for it, must have!!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

umm... like this wrap feature?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W0q2tQD5zk

Not my video, but I've done the same thing with a sphere too.

bkgoodman
Enthusiast
No - this is applying a flat projection onto a curved surface. It only works because it is embossing a small, relatively flat area. If you wanted to do something like wrap the text around the calendar it wouldn't work.
Burnum
Enthusiast
No Mr.Fields
as bkgoodman said, that video is technically not 'wrapping' the geometry around or along a curved surface.

In the second example in the video, what I'm requesting would let me put a sketch on that rounded block, and move it around. Part of the sketch could be on top, then the rest of it could wrap all the way over the edge and down the side to the bottom. And I'm not talking about just text either.

I need some example images maybe.
Burnum
Enthusiast

here is an example of something that could be done with a warp around feature.

Screen Shot 2016-07-22 at 1.06.49 PM.png  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, wrong video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUk3sHRYjQM

Project to Surface is what I played with.

I did play with this a bit to cut/extrude patterns into a ring, but not enough to learn the extents of its use.

I would project to a curved surface then use the projection to scribe the surface. From there I could extend the new face to make it go out normal in all directions or move face to have it extend in one direction.

This should be able to do the pic you have above there.

Mowee
Enthusiast

Great Idea!  +1

Burnum
Enthusiast

Screen Shot 2016-07-22 at 1.57.49 PM.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry Mr. Fields, that's not what we want.

Imagine a seamless pattern or a logo on a cylinder, like this:

螢幕快照 2016-07-25 上午9.40.28.png

When the pattern/logo is small you can't tell a different. But if it's big:

螢幕快照 2016-07-25 上午9.41.28.png

The extrude will be distorted. All extrusion are perpendicular to the planar, that's not good.

All extruded walls should have a center then like explode out to the surface, or a easier way to say is like extruded on a flat plane then roll in to a cylinder.

Burnum
Enthusiast

only 12?

this would be so helpful

promm
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

@Burnum,

Thank you for your idea, this is getting changed to future consideration.  There is a plan to find a way to wrap one object around another.  It has yet to be decided if we do this with a sketch or with a body, once work is started the idea will be changed to accepted.

Regards,

Internal reference FUS-15164

Burnum
Enthusiast

YES!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report