Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why no Linux support?

Why no Linux support?

Bitterly disappointed that there appears to a total disregard of Linux based operating systems. I find it somewhat misleading the claim that Fusion 360 is cross-platform when all you're doing is using the cloud to effectively store files yet you lead people to believe that they can use your software anywhere.....

Linux has a massive user base and many the people using Linux are more tech minded than the general Microsoft user and possibly a significantly higher proportion to Apple users too. Many organisations do not use Windows PCs or Apple machines for good reason and you'll find Linux a significant common factor in many a machine shop and production line. Linux users tend to be industrious and keen to make things, just take a look around you and you'll find pretty much anything from your mobile phones, the internet you are communicating via and a huge proportion of the hardware that surrounds you is either embedded with Linux or was made using Linux platforms.

If Autodesk is genuinely serious about their software they really ought to be supporting Linux.

51 Comments
kelvinqdos
Contributor

@Anonymous Would be very interested to know how well it goes in WINE please let us know when you've given it a good try.

I've also had to get a Windows 10 PC I use solely for Fusion 360 but would be very happy to see the back of it. I tend to use Ubuntu mostly.

Anonymous
Not applicable
That's excellent, hopefully it works, although, going full time Linux has
forced me to learn to use freeCad and I'm actually pretty impressed now
that I understand it, but it would be nice to have the option.
My full time distro is Mint.
Anonymous
Not applicable
For reference, I think the reddit post is here.

I haven't tried it yet...just searched it up to help future wanderers
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dudeskeerootinkercad

Yes, I was not sure if it is allowed to post links to other sites and had no time to check.

More Information also here on github. And there are some informative test results in the AppDB on the WineHQ site, like here and here.

Tried it for hours yesterday, got it installed but had lots of problems because obviously neither my Workstation (Ryzen, Radeon RX580, Ubuntu 18.10 with  4.2.. low latency Kernel) nor my Foolaroundstation (Radeon R9 280x, Ubuntu 19.04 with 5.0 Kernel) are well suited for this. At least in combination with the atigpu driver from the padoka PPA.  On top of that I did no tinkering with Wine for years...

I'm going to try it on my notebook. It has a Nvidia 1060 and a more or less standard Ubuntu 18.10 on it. Much closer to what reportedly worked for some.

What worries me is this Statement from one of the Testers: "The yellow "buy" button in the top bar only opens an empty window and locks the application. So you cannot get the "free" mode. You have to delete the WINE-PREFIX every 30 days and reinstall Fusion for continued use."

For me, it run only up to the point where I could enter Username/Password which was seemingly accepted and I never used that "Admin" installation client before so I don't know if this will be a persistent problem... Man I really hope this will just work someday. Of course it would be even better if Autodesk would release a client and fulfill their  "cross-platform" claim...

Anonymous
Not applicable

So, I'm still happily using FreeCAD for my personal projects (would highly recommend it as an alternative, seems daunting initially, but if you watch a few YouTube videos on it you'll pick it up in no time), but, I still use Fusion360 for work on Windows. Since Windows 7 is EOL very soon and Windows 10 has proven itself to be unusable/unreliable in heavy industry setting, our company is transitioning away from Windows for anything that isn't just an office drone desktop. Companies like mine are ditching Windows, Apple is not a viable option for most large companies, so that just leaves Linux. We have our SCADA suites on Linux, production and HMI PC's on linux, Dev machines are moving to Linux.

The Browser version of Fusion360 isn't viable, even the Mac version of Fusion isn't either... If Autodesk wont release a build for Linux, the least they could do is help the linux community develop the workarounds, Wine dependencies, dxvk etc that allow us to run pretty much any other windows software on Linux.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This whole thing makes me wonder; do they HAVE to have tech support for linux? Like seriously, if that is their concern for releasing a linux appimage then just simply only release the appimage and don't offer tech support for it. We all would be more than happy for a linux version without tech support than no version at all.

Bluntly speaking, I really think Autodesk is just being lazy about that. According to my research, it is made in c++ and python, which means Autodesk has NO EXCUSE to be able to compile a linux version.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was running in wine every day untill a recent update... Now i can't get it to run. Something with the Fusion360 client and dx11. I can get it to run with DXVK but there's no support for child window rendering in vulkan as of yet so the workspace doesn't render 😕 . I think when they were incorparting QT they added some libs that require dx9 to the fusion360 client that i have running in dx11 mode... or something like that. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Fusion 360 is the only reason I need Windows, and I'm a paying customer.

My 18 month old gaming desktop has lost it's Windows 10 Pro partition twice in the last 3 months because of Windows unstable updates.  Windows isn't going back on it.  I had to switch to my 4 year old laptop and after updating itself on November 20th it has BSOD restarted every time I walk away with Fusion 360 open.  Both are Windows 10 Pro.  I've been trying to be Linux only since the implementation of TPM and the end of the Windows XP lifecycle.  

I've been trying for an hour now to use Fusion 360 in the browser for the first time.  When I click "edit in browser," it opens a new tab that eventually says "an error occurred while loading that design:[object Object]".  So apparently no working browser edition.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah I haven't been able to get the browser working. I had fusion 360
running great under wine for a while. But then something happened with
direct x libraries in an update and I haven't been able to recover.
Anonymous
Not applicable
the browser edition does not work for me as well.
BuilderX
Participant

Another vote for a Linux release as well.

I have been using Linux for about 16 years, and really wish more software companies would offer support for us Linux users. Linux is leaps and bounds ahead of Windows, not sure why no one wants to offer their software for Linux users.

I really love Fusion 360, but hate to be relegated to having a separate Windows computer to run it. Now that support for Win 7 is over, we are left with the horrid Win 10 os, which almost makes me want to ditch Fusion 360 and find another option that does not require Windows.

If you are listening Autodesk staff, you should send a poll out to every Fusion 360 user to see if they would want Linux support. I just bet that a hug majority of Windows users would vote yes for Linux version. I dare you to run a poll and see what the results are!

Thanks,

Dave

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report