Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welded Frames (Weldments) similar to Solidworks

Welded Frames (Weldments) similar to Solidworks

In Solidworks, a 2D or 3D sketch is created.  You then choose your frame material from a list of common profiles (such as 1" X 1" X .125 angle iron or 2" X 0.625 wall tube).  The profile then gets extruded along the lines of your original sketch.  There are simple options for adjusting how the orientation of the profile and for controlling what happens at the corners.  Cut lists are automatically generated from the model.

This is a fantastic tool for welded frames, but I have also modified it for use with construction projects and dimensional lumber.

I am sure there is similar functionality in Inventor, but I have no experience with it.

13 Comments
TrippyLighting
Consultant

Yes, that is another one of the many machine building prodictivity features in SW. Works also perfectly well for extruded aluminum profile frames.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This would be really great when they make some improvements to 3D sketchesSmiley Wink

OahuPilot
Participant

Frame generator from Inventor is really missing from fusion 360 

promm
Alumni
Status changed to: RUG-jp審査通過

@nowak_nick,

Thank you for your idea.  Although it is a great idea, the amount of time it will be before we get to it is the reason why the idea is being changed to Archived.  Weldments is a very large project for the team and with our current roadmap it will be years before we explore our options.  At this time, we will revisit your idea.

Thank you,

Mike Prom

Anonymous
Not applicable

Years? Really? I've already spent years learning your software, waiting for such a feature, assured that Inventor can do everything Solidworks can do and visa versa. 

No offense intended guys, but this isn't something to put on the back burner.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I also depend on weldments, to design frames and chassis. In particular I have my custom libraries for steel tube thickness. It's hard to imagine why they would be so hard to code, since conceptually it's just a set of profiles used for extrusion. 

benguestN73BB
Contributor

One more reason why Fusion 360 is just a toy. It will get you 80% there, but it's the last 20% that makes the difference. I'm a huge proponent of 360, but not having a weldment tool like SW is a no go for our shop. 

TrippyLighting
Consultant

@benguestN73BB

Fusion 360 might currently not support weldments but that does not make it a toy.

It has plenty of functionalities that make it usable for a broad range of businesses.

jared.szechy
Observer

Weldments is a much needed feature, until it's available in Fusion 360 I'm forced to continue using SolidWorks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there hope that a weldment profile feature as in SW is on the roadmap now?

marc.a.grossman
Enthusiast

Honestly, weldments can't wait a couple years. We need a roadmap on this. I like a lot about fusion360, but it is missing some critical functionality. I'd have to up-vote the idea that fusion360 is "just a toy" until weldments and good sheet metal are added.

Where fusion360 is great is CAM. You can't even get decent CAM packages for the price you can get the entire fusion360 software package that includes CAM.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is back on the feature request list.  See the following and vote!  This is a super important feature and the only reason I'm not committed to Fusion 360.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-ideastation-request-a/fusion-360-frame-generator/idi-p/710...

egemen1600
Explorer

Forget weldments, just improve Pipe command a little bit. In fact, just add a seperate width and height option for square.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report