Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Untrim Tool

Untrim Tool

I just recently again got into the position that a model needed to be adjusted and fixed and while DM has a great deal of self healing it is not flawless and magical 

so you switch from solid to patch mode but the extend surface only goes sofar.

an untrim tool is so important to have when working with imported STEP data that needs to be adjusted or improved - even for a software like Fusion.

I needed to send again the STEP model to Rhino to fix an issue Fusion was not able to and that is a little embrassing

5 Comments
SolubleSpork
Advocate

Right there with you, hasn't happened often to me but a couple times I had to use SW to aid in fixing a STEP.

cekuhnen
Mentor

@SolubleSpork 

Self healing of direct modeling is great if it works. And then when not you are somewhat stuck with geometry you cannot make its original shape back and have to use a problematic modeling workflow to hopefully filling in the void 

TrippyLighting
Consultant

Agree, this would be very helpful when making molds as well.

Anonymous
Not applicable

For the production of tools for injection molding a very important function.
I am surprised that this function does not exist.
I'm a new user of fusion 360 and I'm testing it to see if you can create realistic form separations.
For all CAD systems I've ever learned, it was a standard feature and i miss it a lot.

cekuhnen
Mentor

@Anonymous  To some extend the surface extend tool can help but it creates a different surface.

while the extend method seems to be ideal for solid modeler folks in direct modeling when the auto repair does not work honestly the untrim tool like in surface modelers will be more efficient.

@jeff_strater  Jeff do you have some input ?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report