Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Snap Ground Plane to Surface

Snap Ground Plane to Surface

I have a model and perhaps due to my process, it is above the ground plane which is weird given that the origin is inside the model...

I know that I can change how the ground plane is angled with respect to the model under the orbit cube, but I dont understand how to set the height of the ground plane.  I want to make something appear to be against a wall, but instead, it looks as if it is levitating.

Possible solutions would be snapping the ground plane to a face, adding the ground plane as an object in the object tree (my preference) or adding a z-level adjustment to the other ground plane adjustment features.  This is an absolute must have from a rendering perspective as I need to be able to have a reflection and shador that makes sense.

8 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update: I still have this problem, but I think I understand why it is placing the Ground plane where it is.  It appears that the ground plane distance from the object is dictated by the outermost geometry EVEN if that geometry is hidden/invisible or even possibly in a different direction(I can't tell yet) etc.  Anyhow, another possible implementation of the ground plane adjustment might would be an option to ignore hidden features of snap to closest visible feature that would toggle between the current implementation and snapping to, well, the closest visible feature perpandicular to the ground plane.

Hope that is helpful and look forward to seeing this enhancement.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Confirmed.  I have a Sketch that I did with a part a different orientation and because I was a bit sloppy and my sketch was attributed to the top level Object rather than the part I was working on at the time (something that I would suspect is a common mistake).

Even if I hide the sketch, I can't move the ground plane any closer to the model.Screen Shot 2015-09-12 at 4.07.27 PM.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

One more update.  I removed all of the offending sketches but I am unable to reset the ground plane distance which makes me think somewhere there is some sort of max x, y, z value that doesn't get updated fyi. This one is arguably a bug.

Anonymous
Not applicable

After playing with this further I am actually even less ure what is dictating the ground plane height.  I am able to create a component and move the ground plane via toggling the components visibility.  The final conslusion is that we need to be able to position the ground plane at any angle and at any location.

colin.smith
Alumni
Status changed to: ć‚Ŗćƒ¼ćƒˆćƒ‡ć‚¹ć‚ÆåÆ©ęŸ»č½éø

Ground plane adjustments will be in an upcoming release in the rendering workspace.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Glad to hear this!
šŸ™‚

Cheers,
Dan
keqingsong
Community Manager
Status changed to: Implemented

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I'm new to Fusion 360, but it's been a lot of fun.  However, I have a problem.  I had sculpted a Model that sliced well and printed well.  Then I made a few tweeks and the altered Model seems to have a slight tilt (about 0.4mm over about 100mm to the upper left looking at it from Top).  Now, it doesn't slice well, of course.  I try to make tiny adjustments with Move/Copy, but I'm not doing well enough.  I thought that I could force the bottom face to the ground plane by selecting it and clicking Component/Ground, but that didn't have any effect.

Any suggestions?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report