Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set Maximum Orbit Speed

Set Maximum Orbit Speed

TL;DR: When changing perspective, don't let the angle sweep faster than 90 degrees/second to prevent "flip out" of the part.

Details:

I've seen more elaborate suggestions to address this issue but this one has the virtue of being extremely easy for the team to add in.

When I adjust perspective using the perspective control in the upper right hand corner, small perturbations in my mouse position can lead to very large changes in perspective. It gives the feeling that the perspective has just flipped out at random. I realize that this is because the orbit position is a state function of the mouse position. Here's a simple tweak that would make adjustment more manageable:

Have the orbit approach the mouse position but have it do so at a hard-coded maximum rate of revolution--perhaps 90 degrees every second. That's fast enough to satisfy power users but slow enough that people like me won't get lost.

1 Comment

Reducing the speed may help a bit, but the issue seems much deeper / more fundamental to me.

Scene / design navigation is just fundamentally broken and should be scrapped and redone

I've probably said this 100x already, but SGI's Open Inventor was 1000x better in the '90s and probably any modern gaming engine does a better job than what's in F360

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report