Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parent Component remains activated after editing it’s sketch(s).

Parent Component remains activated after editing it’s sketch(s).

When a sketch is edited the component its within is activated.  However after stopping the sketch the component doesn’t necessarily stay active.  A body created from the sketch can end up in a different component - which ever was active before editing the sketch.  

I’ve the impression rule#1 logic runs contrary to this.    

I suppose with a single master or skeleton sketch this would serve useful.  But in anything very complicated, a single sketch becomes an unwieldy mass of contours and constraints making later modifications next to impossible.  

Aside from that I think we’d be better off with generated bodies automatically remaining within the parent component.   Anything that reduces mousing and clicking in the browser is a productive development.

5 Comments
Hastyark.misc
Participant

Hi If I understand you correctly; once you finish a sketch and form a shape and the sketch isn't hidden then the sketch is re-selected and goes back into editing the first sketch when you want to add a different sketch on the same plane/face because of the contour? I have been searching on google, youtube for this fix and it is one of the reasons I am going back to SW. The freedom in SW to have the old sketches seen but only turn on when you click on the lines is what F360 needs. The sketch contour is honestly stupid. Having it always active makes working on 360 a headache and clunky.

Op I was on here hoping to find this type of post and if not then make one similiar.

I can post a example pic or video of both programs going through the same situation if it wasn't clear, just want to support this idea

smallfavor
Collaborator

"Hi If I understand you correctly; once you finish a sketch and form a shape and the sketch isn't hidden then the sketch is re-selected and goes back into editing the first sketch when you want to add a different sketch on the same plane/face because of the contour?"

That's one heck of a sentence you made there. Smiley Happy

I agree with the flashing aspect of the interface anytime the cursor passes over an element. It's always made more sense to deliberately select things with a mouse click rather than every last aspect asking if your interested in it - over and over and over.

Hastyark.misc
Participant

That's one heck of a sentence you made there. Smiley Happy"  haha yep I knew it wasn't pretty at the time, it was early in the morning I wrote it and I was frustrated at A360 again...

The way it flashes the contour if the sketch is not hidden makes it much more difficult. Relating to that is the contour of the sketch having a higher visual hierarchy if it isn't hidden. The 3D shape can be seen because of the tone changes from light but then overlaying a orange face that flashes every time the mouse hovers over it was a terrible idea from the engineers.

kb9ydn
Advisor

Yes, it should leave the component activated if you edit something within it.

Re: geometry flashing as you mouse over it; I actually prefer to have this.  In SWX there is a setting called dynamic highlight which you can toggle it on or off.  Fusion needs the same.  Smiley Happy

C|

smallfavor
Collaborator

The more user customizable Fusion becomes the greater application it will be.  I can only guess that much of the functionality mentioned in other AD apps is not easily ported over or translatable in the newer program design.  I'm rather weary of the sketch mode at this point.  It's not at all easy to use with any level of complexity.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report