Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NPT pipe threads

NPT pipe threads

Please add NPT pipe threads to the thread options in the thread dialog box. Tnx!

293 Comments
jodom4
Community Manager

wlyonS3V54, if only it were that easy! Fusion has a totally different UI framework, is coded in a different language, and has a radically different file architecture from Inventor. The reason it takes a while to get features into Fusion is that they basically have to be rebuilt from scratch. This is why any time there's a now app that used to be PC only and is now on Mac, or when a new browser version of a formerly desktop-only app comes out, it has limited toolsets that get added to over time.

Anonymous
Not applicable

it's been 4.3 years since original post...

Serious ball dropped here

trey
Advocate

^ Agreed.  Add me to the list of people that need NPT.

WillL84
Collaborator
@jodom4 wrote:

Fusion has a totally different UI framework, is coded in a different language, and has a radically different file architecture from Inventor. 

@jodom4 you're not kidding! Was considering switching to Fusion from Inventor a while back. HA that'll never happen. Can't stand the assembly setup in Fusion compared to Inventor. The only thing we use Fusion for is CAM for our lathe for the stuff we can't program directly on the lathe.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@WillL84 that's funny , I only use it for fixing customers ideas of a good model ! cam milling gouges molding area when ever I've tried using cam at work .  

redcapjuice
Enthusiast

NPT for me! Of all things, not having NPT yet is one of the biggest surprises, and let downs for my designs. 

Careless_
Advocate

Still no NPT threads in the "Hole Wizard". What's going on over at there Autodesk.

Every other thread seems to be of more importance?

Please stop adding more features and polish the current ones.

rn_999
Explorer

I'm amazed that this has taken over 4 years to implement. Its stated as "accepted", but nothing happends?

NPT treads are one of the most common treading used, both in US and Europe (Yea, we also use inch on some occasions). It is often used for equipment that needs fluids or gases since it can be made really thight and does not require anything other than teflon tape (no gaskets!).

Please add this as soon as possible as I am considering other design software just beacuse of the poor choice of treads.

ntolien
Observer

Really a short coming!!

I may have to go back to solidworks!! Too bad I'm loving fusion on many other fronts. Shame!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

sad, now I have two reasons not to remain with Fusion... good thing I'm on the trial program. Saddest thing is after four years or requesting, nothing, looks like we know where we stand.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I got a 2 year deal on black friday and it's about to expire, i sure AF don't want to pony out full price for this program now

johnQ7A63
Community Visitor

I've used the Tapered Pipe Thread feature in Inventor and it has proved indispensable!

As a designer & Engineer living in the USA it is required frequently and HAS to be available for NPT & NPS in regular and modeled as well!

3dvs
Participant

Need this function too.
Working on a design for a client and I'd really like to be able to do this in Fusion 360 instead of using an external tool.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Another update just installed itself, and still there are no tapered threads (npt or otherwise).

All flavors of straight pipe threads, which in 30 year career never used or even seen.  Maybe outside the US these are used - but pipe threads in the US are NPT.

Loads of fancy new computational modelling capabilities (which I bet aren't used nearly as much as the basic modelling features like making threaded holes to accommodate standard components such as tapered pipe fittings) - but still ignoring a basic (and in my mind essential) functionality.

Can someone from Autodesk at least provide a meaningful timetable for this.  Last update was a year ago - when someone was supposedly assigned, but had other things to do first, and as soon as they cleared their backlog all would be good.  Any chance you can provide an actual target date?? or even is it actively being worked on.

Anonymous
Not applicable
No… No one at Autodesk can or will respond…. Give it up. Thank goodness I only use this for personal use. I can’t imagine trying to create any sort of operation with this software which lacks NPT a basic and need function.

Good luck all

Anonymous
Not applicable

I do a lot of reverse engineering of old parts, dating back to the DC-3 aircraft. NPT was (and still is unfortunately widely used). I literally HATE pipe thread, but in my business, I have no choice as I encounter them daily.  

lucasproko
Alumni

Hey @Anonymous and @Anonymous - we've been attempting to give updates every couple months on this project including one in August where I shared a demo and asked for some feedback on the project. I understand that there's many, many pages of comments on this thread though, so it's hard to read through everything.

Unfortunately, since I shared the update, we ran into some issues while editing Tapered Threads in Direct Modeling mode, and it has delayed our progress. Considering we're still working through the best way to proceed, I cannot give an accurate timetable, but I would not expect anything in 2018. 

I know it's frustrating that we do not support tapered threads yet, and I know it has been a long-standing request. I wish I could tell you it was coming next update, but sometimes things are more difficult than they seem in software development and this has turned into one of those situations. I appreciate your patience, and will do my best to update this thread when we have a more definite timeline. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sir you need not apologize for the difficulties of creating and offering NPT threads; It’s a given that it is not easy. Furthermore you have a fine product (with a real limitation) and it does much very well. I am a new user and appreciate your communication as to the difficulty. That said, Fusion need only say something to the affect of “We will advise all if and when we have accomplished this feature… period” It’s the chain forum with hints that you are working on it, there will be an update soon, how difficult it is, etc, that make this, sorry to say, but Comical. So when I want comedy, I go to a movie, not to a forum where the on going joke has been four plus years in the making and has somewhere along the line involved me.

I have given up on this chapter and will simply tap where necessary and move on. I will remove myself from this forum as the updates and comments is somewhat embarrassing. I bid you well in your pursuit to a solution on this matter, heck I would go as far as asking for assistance from your clients to help resolve. No one person and often team, can create a solution to all situations, but remaining stubborn on such a matter does not promote the growth of your product nor the confidence one feels in it.

Be well
Gil
colinNJB25
Advocate

I was just assigned a project today that will need modeled NPT threads. I am trying to decide if I pass on the work and give it to my overworked co-worker with SolidWorks or if I try to make a work around. Does anyone have a good work around?

SGallowayGMNSX
Participant
I was able to make some tapered threads, modeled. The work around I used was to create a coil. Like a spring, but you can select different cross sections, and select triangle to cut the threads. After you set the thread pitch and length you will also need to adjust the taper angle. I believe it is 1.789 degrees. Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report