Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NPT pipe threads

NPT pipe threads

Please add NPT pipe threads to the thread options in the thread dialog box. Tnx!

293 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can we get a discount on renewal over this?

Fueler
Collaborator

Seriously?  Would you be doing 1/4 of what you are now without 360?

ray_simmons
Contributor
  - you have to be kidding -  this  functionality was requested in 2014  and was expected to include  MODELED  threads and now you tell us  that you will be providing a tapered hole and graphics and that this meets our requirement because of time constraints and that if we want more we should resubmit!  The tapered hole has been in Fusion since countersunk holes was introduced - oh - wasn't that since conception!  What we need is AD to stop playing games and accept that NPT (tapered threads) are real and necessary and apply the resources necessary to fix the problem. To ignore  complete group of your business, ie., the 3D printer and the group that just wants it to be right will not enhance your followers and users.  Lastly to expect that to gain this required and requested functionality we should REAPPLY is wrong. To acknowledge that for PHASE 1 you will provide a tapered hole and graphics followed by a concerted effort to model the thread is the ONLY solution.   
Anonymous
Not applicable

Original request to add tapered threads to Fusion was posted in 2014.  Just got another update in 2018, and still no tapered threads in the hole or thread tools.  

Why is this taking so long.  npt threads in the US are everywhere.  not having a tool to create one (even though the thread/hole tools in other AutoDesk CAD software implement this) is really quite confusing.    

Why is this taking so long?

wildcardfox
Explorer

Please add NPT

dentontxtwu
Explorer

Hello... does anyone from Autodesk still read these?

lucasproko
Alumni

Hey @dentontxtwu - Yes, we still read the Idea Station posts regularly! However, given the vast number of Ideas and different projects we're working on, we cannot respond to every single comment. That means we attempt to give periodic updates on any Ideas that that have recently hit a significant milestone. You may have missed my comments on the last couple pages of this Idea, but the summary is that we've begun development work on tapered threads (including NPT) and look forward to releasing the functionality once we get it to an acceptable state. 

Thanks for your involvement in the community. 

Lucas

doug.sellner
Community Visitor

Its disturbing that this issue still exists - You are obviously skilled programmers - adding new threads is perhaps as easy as entering 5 parameters to a config file yet you refuse to add the ability to use 360 with industry standard pipes...

SGallowayGMNSX
Participant
I feel your pain, because we have been waiting for a long time for this to happen.
lucasproko
Alumni

Hey @doug.sellner - I also feel your pain, and I wish this was as easy as "entering 5 parameters to a config file" but unfortunately it is not.  I can assure you that we are working through the different aspects of this project and will release it once it is completed and tested.

yoshimitsuspeed
Advisor

Whether or not coding something to do exactly what you want how you want would be that easy it would be fully possible to use tools that F360 already has to accomplish this as we have been recommending for years. All you need is a preconfigured thread shape that you can assign to a point or surface then set the depth and then cut or add material to create the geometry. Now that you have threads in the hole feature it should be even simpler. Select point and it cuts or adds the tapered thread. 
You could litterally use the same process people have been using as a workaround for years but use a high quality proper thread geometry and integrate it into an automated process of selecting point, changing depth if needed and hitting ok. 
It's no wonder it takes 4 years to get the simplest things accomplished for F360 and why it is still almost as lacking in areas as it was 4 years ago. It seems like you guys go out of your way to try to come up with the most complicated, convoluted way to accomplish a task possible and half the time you remove functionality in doing so and take another 2 years to get halfway back to what it used to do. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Screen Shot 2018-06-21 at 2.42.37 PM.png

WillL84
Collaborator

I still don't see why it's so hard seeing that it's been in Inventor (graphic) for YEARS. We almost switched to fusion from Inventor entirely but the workflow is horrible compared to Inventor. All I use Fusion for now is CAM.

IanMacDonald4987
Participant

And still no NPT threading options?  Looks like this has been requested going back 4 years now.  What does it take?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I can defiantly understand there being a delay to add thread pitch functionality if it wasn't already there, but the mechanism to add it is already there and so it's just defining what NPT looks like. You would assume 8 pages of people crying out for it would warrant addressing. maybe by 2020.

Anonymous
Not applicable

i know i'm NOT buying this software again... we work exclusively with water pipes and npt

colinNJB25
Advocate

I found this chart helpful:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_pipe_thread#Standard_sizes

This link also got me some threads I could 3D print. Not the fastest work flow. It is also good to know that 

the taper rate for all NPT threads is 1 inch of diameter in 16 inches of length.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/fusion-360/learn-explore/caas/screencast/Main/Details/b69d473...

Anonymous
Not applicable

NPT threads are essential to our company and apparently most others.  Please add them to Fusion 360.  4 years of requests and comments and it's still being worked on?  That's not encouraging.

Anonymous
Not applicable

They don't?, they don't follow this post. The only time they post here is as after someone emails them referencing this thread . I've canceled my subscription for work and told them it was because how they have handled this matter and they had no reply . I can't wait till main stream media catches this thread . If it does .

stanstoneman
Observer

Bumping this post in hopes this feature has a timeframe tied to it. Dying a slow death without this feature. Maybe I missed out on the private trial group?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report