Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple presses of shortcut key scroll through shape feature options

Multiple presses of shortcut key scroll through shape feature options

For example, a single press of the 'R' key starts sketching a two point rectangle currently. Pressing 'R' a second time would change it to a 3-point rectangle and a third time would create a centre rectangle feature. The same could work for circles or any other shape.

This should be easy for new users to understand and wont require them to learn additional commands or have to type as many characters in the sketch search box.

10 Comments
lokiidesigns
Advocate

Add ability to cycle through keyboard shortcuts whilst in sketch mode by repeatedly pressing the same shortcut key. Example structure using the C shortcut key (for circle) is below:

1) "C" = Centre Diameter Circle

2) "C" = 2 Point Circle

3) "C" = 3 Point Circle

4) "C" = 2 Tangent Circle

5) "C" = 3 Tangent Circle

6) "C" = Centre Diameter Circle

By pressing it the sixth time you end up being back at the start of the options. This could work for all sketch related options Arc (A), Rectangle (R), Polygon (P), Line (L - which would then toggle to Spline & Construction Line), Slot (S) & Trim (T - which would then go to Extend & Break).

Tags (4)
lokiidesigns
Advocate

I should expand on this one to explain a little more as I have posted this idea before along with another one from @thburn (these gathered a few votes) but were archived both times based on the argument that it could not be implemented due to Fusion waiting for a numerical input after accepting a shortcut key. In sketch mode this is not the case as it is actually waiting for a starting point on your chosen plane and there is no ability to add in any numerical value or even a Parameter to muddy this up.

One thing that this Idea hangs off of is Fusion tailoring the shortcut keys to be contextually aware and know that you are in a sketch. This has been raised a number of times in IdeaStation and believe it is now for Future Consideration - makes sense as pressing F for fillet should not throw you out of sketching. Some of the shortcuts suggested above in the original post currently do not exist either but if you were to make shortcuts contextually aware I think these make the most sense and would be likely to be implemented regardless of my post.

Links to the Idea for contextually aware shortcuts i.e. F = Fillet Sketch when in sketch mode are here:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/ideastation-request-a-feature-or/keyboard-shortcuts-contextual/idi-p/...

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/ideastation-request-a-feature-or/fillet-keyboard-shortcut-in-edit-ske...

Links to the original two are here for reference:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/ideastation-request-a-feature-or/keyboard-shortcuts-to-toggle-cycle-t...

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/ideastation-request-a-feature-or/keyboard-shortcuts-to-toggle-through...

lokiidesigns
Advocate

Thought I'd add the link to the Contextual Keyboard Shortcuts Idea to garner some more votes for that one as well - see below:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/ideastation-request-a-feature-or/keyboard-shortcuts-contextual/idc-p/...

lokiidesigns
Advocate

@Anonymous, I hope you get them to take notice of this and it gets accepted as I have been trying for some time to get this one through the gates - see link below:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-ideastation-request-a/sketch-mode-keyboard-shortcuts-to-toggle-cycle-through-variants/idc-p/6888485#M22680

I originally got told that the reason for it not being accepted was because once you click a shortcut key it is waiting for a numerical input and a letter press would void it or create issues. I don't believe that to be the case as generally speaking it is waiting for you to click somewhere on the page...so long as you toggle through the variants before you start it you should be fine.

Best of Luck!!

tsharpe
Contributor

This is totally genius - maybe a little icon could show next to your mouse pointer each time you cycle to a new type of circle/rectangle/arc/slot to remind you where you are in the loop of options.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lokiidesigns I hope so too. I'm not surprised this isn't the first time it came up. Just seemed like a useful feature to implement

Thanks @tsharpe

colin.smith
Alumni
Status changed to: オートデスク今後検討

Anonymous
Not applicable

anytime feature has more than one option and has a default shortcut key assigned to it, pressing that key again should cycle to the next option.  Would be really useful in Circle and Rectangles at the moment.cycle.JPG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey all, I am an user of windows 10 and i have one question. I want to rotate my screen but don't know the way. Can you please tell me the windows keyboard shortcuts to rotate the windows screen.

Regards

Hiralal

SolubleSpork
Advocate

I was just about to add this to the IdeaStation before I went to the second page of search results.....

This functionality exists in other CAD Packages but slightly different. Instead of "R" being used repeatedly to cycle between the rectangle sketch tools, "R" can be mapped to the most commonly used one and another shortcut is the toggle. Take SolidWorks for example, by default "a" is used as the toggle. Therefore, "R" is set to 2-Point Rectangle, then "a" is used to let me switch between the 2-Point Rectangle, 3-Point Rectangle, and Center Rectangle.

Same for circles, I can set "C" as my most commonly used circle type, Center Diameter Circle, and the same "a" toggle shortcut as before would allow me to quickly switch between Center Diameter Circle, 2-Point Circle, 3-Point Circle, 2-Tangent Circle, and 3-Tangent Circle. "S" for Center to Center Slot, then "a" to repeatedly change between Center to Center Slot, Overall Slot, Center Point Slot, Three Point Arc Slot, and Center Point Arc Slot. "S" for Fit Point Spline, then "a" to toggle between it and Control Point Spline. Etc. Etc. The sketch palette dialog box that shows up by default already indicates which type of rectangle, circle, slot, etc. tool is activated.

This allows multiple tools to have their own shortcuts if they are more commonly used. If I want BOTH 2-Point Rectangle and Center Rectangle set to their own keyboard shortcuts because I use them so frequently, then I can still do that. But the few times that I need 3-Point Rectangle, it would be nice to hit the shortcut for one of my rectangle tools and then toggle to it with a multi-use toggle shortcut, rather than dedicating another entire shortcut to a lesser used tool. I think it also would help avoid the problem of using the one shortcut to both select the geometry type AND toggle the different methods of drawing it, i.e. when I finish a rectangle and move on to something else, next time I type "R" to get to the rectangle, does it use my last method?  Does it start at the most common?  Instead, "R" always goes to what it's mapped to, and "a" just toggles.

All of this would still allow me to avoid using my mouse to select the different tool, which always helps with efficiency and is sort of the whole purpose for shortcuts.  But just about every sketch tool would be able to be easily accessed with shortcuts, all without setting up specific shortcuts to get to each of them individually.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report