Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

more usable timeline

more usable timeline

Timeline has been a part of F360 for quite awhile now. I love it, in principle, but I still find that when I'm doing any sort of serious work I eventually have to disable it.

Even when I do manage to keep it going for awhile, going back in design history and changing anything nontrivial tends to break things badly.

It'd be great to have a much more robust timeline that's actually usable. 

6 Comments
kb9ydn
Advisor

Especially when working with assemblies I find the timeline is really obnoxious.  I'm hoping that the forthcoming ability to edit *in context* makes it less annoying.

C|

Yeah the idea is great in principle but like parametrics (which require it), it's broken in more ways than it works.

No matter how much care goes into a design, it's never worked for me for anything nontrivial and it always finds new and unpleasant ways to surprise me.

kb9ydn
Advisor

The interesting thing is that I'm a hardcore SWX user, so history based modelling is second nature to me.  But in SWX assemblies are NOT history based because it's just too restrictive when you're trying to arrange components the way they need to be.  So having to deal with the Fusion timeline when working with an assembly drives me nuts.

I could try making DM assemblies with all externally linked history based components, but patterns in DM mode aren't associative, which really sucks when (not just if) you need to edit them.

C|

For me that goes back to it making more sense to use a dependency graph than a flattened timeline.

The ideal for me would be to eliminate the need for any distinction between DM and Timeline / parametric. That's totally doable with the right design and the switch between the two is one of those things that's guaranteed to confuse users.

HughesTooling
Consultant

Something I think would work well is if history could be by component. So you could have some components with history and some DM in one document, that way you could turn off history for the top component and have history for all subcomponents and it would work a lot more like other solid modelers.

Mark

promm
Alumni
Status changed to: RUG-jp審査通過

Thank you for your idea, I would be happy to have a call to discuss workflows using the timeline.  When edits are made to features that are earlier in the timeline the features that happen after are recomputed.  If the changes causes other dependent features to turn yellow or red there are design techniques that help improve parametric edits.

Cheers,

Mike Prom

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report