Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It is Time to Fix Boring Bars in CAM, SERIOUSLY!!!!

It is Time to Fix Boring Bars in CAM, SERIOUSLY!!!!

Come on guys, yall are better than this. I LOVE fusion 360, and this issue is making that difficult. It is ridiculous that the boring bars are still screwed up. I.D. boring ops are frequently delicate, and have very limited clearances on retracts. Not being able to properly model and simulate a boring bar defeats the purpose of using a CAM package. Its not hard to write some G-code or modify some g-code, or whatever to get a boring op to work. The whole point of CAM is to prevent human error, and all the current autodesk suggested solutions to this problem only introduce the potential for human error. 

The lack of proper boring tools in the Lathe CAM is absurd and devalues this software tremendously. I've reviewed other posts and see that this problem has been pervasive for years and loads of people are really frustrated. 

Either fix the problem, or explain why your software is not capable of doing what every other CAM package does from day one. 

5 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree 100% with Beardytroll!  Lack of a reasonable ability to define boring bars is about the only thing keeping us from fully adopting Fusion 360 into our shop.  

Farzati.Scott
Advocate

Absolutely!  Seems there is more attention to the CAD/Modeling side than the real world application of the CAM.  Its great to look at what others can do in the gallery, but we are trying to make parts that will for production...

@Anonymous wrote:

Come on guys, yall are better than this. I LOVE fusion 360, and this issue is making that difficult. It is ridiculous that the boring bars are still screwed up. I.D. boring ops are frequently delicate, and have very limited clearances on retracts. Not being able to properly model and simulate a boring bar defeats the purpose of using a CAM package. Its not hard to write some G-code or modify some g-code, or whatever to get a boring op to work. The whole point of CAM is to prevent human error, and all the current autodesk suggested solutions to this problem only introduce the potential for human error. 

The lack of proper boring tools in the Lathe CAM is absurd and devalues this software tremendously. I've reviewed other posts and see that this problem has been pervasive for years and loads of people are really frustrated. 

Either fix the problem, or explain why your software is not capable of doing what every other CAM package does from day one. 

ixenn1
Contributor

I have to agree with you guys. I was just doing my first lathe part using Fusion 360 and learned that I cannot define a basic solid carbide boring bar. I also cannot use an insert drill as a boring bar without modifying the gcode afterwards. This is a bummer. Seems like pretty standard stuff!

peterson1979
Enthusiast

No kidding, I'm getting tired of fudging my tools because fusion 360 believes boring bars need to be square. Very dissapointing that this is still not fixed.

johnptc314159
Collaborator

help  this is really a problem 😞

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report