Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hotkeys for Sketch Constraints

Hotkeys for Sketch Constraints

If I could apply constraints via assigned hotkeys, my work speed in sketch mode would double. Every line that I draw is followed by dragging my cursor over to the sketch palette, looking for the appropriate constraint, and then drawing the next line. (this is not including the times in which you click the wrong constraint on accident and have to fix it.)

If you have a sketch with 20 lines, that's many times that you have to drag the cursor over and apply the constraint. It may not seem like much at first, but as more and more lines are drawn that amount of time really adds up.

I am aware that you can first click a constraint such as "equal" and then click on multiple lines, but that often requires the person to plan ahead, which realistically is not always the case. 

Another suggestion instead of hotkeys would be to assign the common constraints that I use to the right-click-menu feature. for example, "right click, then drag to choose a constraint on the menu".

Thanks!

6 Comments
HughesTooling
Consultant

You've not mentioned above but if you preselect sketch geometry then right click you get appropriate snaps displayed on the menu. Doesn't work for all situations though, a right click with a hotkey to get a small toolbox with all snaps would be good.

Mark

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just downloaded Fusion an was learning the little things: new pan-zoom-rotate, different layout, obsession with throwing a grid in your face, no big. But this not being able to hotkey my sketch constraints, this is a deal breaker.

This probably sounds elitist to people who don't draw for a living, but the mouse is a very inefficient data entry device!

An analogy: Imagine if you had to use the mouse to click an onscreen keyboard instead of typing on a real keyboard. You would probably type much slower than you do now. Or maybe you are a 2 finger typist, well you must have seen some secretary or programmer who types 120 words/minute. That's how a professional CAD jockey draws. I'm sure there are CAD users who are the equivalent of a 2 finger typist and are OK spending 5 seconds hunting for each key, but I can't do it. My productivity will be too low with this program.

Some people who are new to modeling or design can take a few seconds in between each action. I'm past all that. I need to click-tap-tap and onto the next line. 

trbldrr
Community Visitor
This would make designing things much, much faster! Also editing and deleting constraints is slow, would be nice to cycle through them via keyboard.
HughesTooling
Consultant

The new preview UI has moved the constraints to the top toolbar and added hotkeys. You can also add them to the search toolbar.

Mark

Anonymous
Not applicable

Tight! So the functionality is there. So nice! Now I am very curious to know if anyone has any excellent ideas on which keys to assign to constraints. Is the fusion team already working on a default set?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Seems like the Shift + (letter) commands are pretty wide open. Here's how I'm going to set mine up, so that I don't have to move my pinky off of the Shift key:

Horizontal/Vertical = Shift+h

Coincident = Shift+v (icon looks like a v)

Tangent = Shift+t

Equal = Shift+e

Parallel = Shift+a

Perpendicular = Shift+r

Fix/Unfix = Shift+f

Midpoint = Shift+d

Concentric = Shift+c

Collinear = Shift+y ('y' looks like it's trying to be collinear)

Symmetry = Shift+x

Curvature = Shift+b ('b' has matched curvature)

A visual representation of how I laid mine out

fusion_constraints_shortcuts_v01.png

Thanks to the fusion team for making this a snap to set up!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report