Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fractions with Alternate Units

Fractions with Alternate Units

This has been brought up and archived in the past, but I still think there is something that can be improved with entering fractional dimensions in units that don't match the document standard.  Currently, if the document units are set to [mm], when I type in [5/8"] as a dimension, the dimension is seen as invalid.  I can type in [.625"] and the input works, but when using a fraction, it doesn't.  It is sometimes useful to maintain standard units but then enter in alternate units, and sometimes I don't want to convert fractional dimensions to decimal before entering it.

One previous attempt that this was brought up by a "DavePlant" was archived because a secondary suggestion in the original post was ruled as solved.  Another example by "alexander.crease" was archived due to lack of support.  This functionality is found in various other CAD packages that I have used and is very intuitive to use.  One suggestion is that [5/8"] or [5/8 in] might be interpreted as [5mm] / [8"] (mm being the document units in this case).  But I believe that interpretation is more obscure than the former.

In the particular case that this came up, I imported a CAD model from a manufacturer of a part that I purchased.  This part is defined in [mm] units and I would like to keep it in metric units.  However, I am modifying this part with some features that I had to have spaced at [13/16"] to accommodate an [in] spec mating component.  Entering the fraction failed.  I was able to enter [13/16] and then select the dimension and change it from [mm] to [in] or manually calculate the fraction and enter [.8125"] but these workflows are inefficient, especially when compared to other software I've used in the past.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report