Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fix/Unfix changes (visibility and separate Fix and Unfix toggles)

Fix/Unfix changes (visibility and separate Fix and Unfix toggles)

I've had to import sketches from inkscape (mostly because I can't curve text in plane in Fusion 360) and the sketches come in with many, many points, which slows down the computer far more than any 3D geometry I've ever created.  Every line segment and points imports in as fixed.  If I select the entire sketch and click "fix/unfix" I assume only so many points can be selected, because not all of the sketch is converted to the unfixed condition.  If I try to select all and perform this function again, it will switch back to the fixed condition.  I have to manually zoom in and hunt down the slight color difference between the blue and green fix/unfixed sections, select ONLY them, and hit the fix/unfix button again.  I will then try to move my sketch, and I'll know I failed in my fixed point/line segment search when the sketch won't move (nothing tells me that some point is fixed!).  The best way to find out if there is a fixed point or line segment is to try to ROTATE the sketch- which will rotate all the unfixed line segments and points, but not the fixed.  I then note what isn't rotating, go back and try to find those points again.

This is how this can be fixed:

1. Allow highlighting of fixed points.  This should be a heavy line, high contrasting color

2. Have the fix and unfixing as SEPARATE toggles.  This way, I'm not accidently fixing something that I want to unfix!

This little issue has been the most time consuming part of my prototype design.  Every minor change in the prototype requires me to change the curved text of the version label.  Because of this import from inkscape combined with this fix/unfix issue, I spend roughly 45minutes to 1.5 HOURS changing the version number on the model.

Best Regards,

4 Comments
jaywp
Observer

I am running into EXACTLY this problem with SVG files from inkscape. It seems silly that you can't just "unfix all" within a sketch.

colin.smith
Alumni
Status changed to: RUG-jp審査通過

Archived due to lack of votes.

brianriordan
Enthusiast
Sweet mercy, this needs to be fixed and it's so easy!

--
Brian Riordan
979-218-8009 (Mobile)
Riordan.brian@gmail.com
jaharley
Contributor

Is there any way to vote on this or un-archive it?  I agree that "fix" and "unfix" should be separate buttons.  Here's a simple example I run into:

1) draw a line, and fix one endpoint

2) draw a circle centered on the fixed endpoint

You now have two coincident points, one of which is fixed.  Using the fix/unfix button just toggles them both back and forth as far as I can tell, so one is always fixed.  The only way I can get things unfixed is to remove the coincident constraint, shift one of the points, unfix it, and then re-apply the coincident constraint.  It gets really messy if there are a lot of points in the stack.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report