Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't ask for peoples designs right away or when not absolutely necessary

Don't ask for peoples designs right away or when not absolutely necessary

If this is expected to be professional software I think it should be expected that employees and members should be expected to act in a professional manner. 
If someone has an issue and the standard response from AD employees, advisors and high ranking members it makes this feel like an amature DIY club where everyone gets to share their pet projects or whatever. I understand there may be a point at which it may be necessary to escalate it to that level or privately talking to an AD member but I find it pretty offensive when I provide more than enough information for a very simple issue and I immediately get asked to share the model. I actually do work with this software. Some proprietary, some subbed, some under NDA and others that I just don't want to frikken share. This isn't Woodstock or Burning Man. If we ran into each other at Burning Man I'll share my sanwich or tell you all about my project but if you want this to seem like professional software I think it should be expected we are actually doing professional work with it. 

If it's members trying to help and they literally are unable to without more information I understand that it would be respectful on my end to recreate an example model to demonstrate the issue if they really can't figure out how to recreate it in a reasonable amount of time. I do however think it's unfair for AD employees to expect the same. If I take 15 min out of the day to make a post, snap some pics and give as much of a detailed an explination as I can in the time allowed that should generally be enough. I don't have an hour to make a new model, new drawings and trying to recreate the issue in a shareable model. If it escalates to a level that I actually have to work with an AD employee one on one under an NDA then so be it but it should really be after all other options are exhausted. I have asked AD multiple times if they want to pay me for troubleshooting or bug reporting but they don't. I am just expected to take time out of my day to recreate the problem and hold their hand through every step, make videos and multiple examples just because I enjoy contributing to the development of the software I pay for. 

11 Comments

I totally understand why AD would ask for designs to help reproduce bugs, but it doesn't sit well with me either.

On a crash, there should be a mechanism within the program to isolate a minimum amount of information to reproduce it

michallach81
Advisor

@yoshimitsuspeed next time you should try professional way: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/design-validate-document/how-to-report-bugs-amp-issues/td-p/5722215 , and if you're too lazy to read that, then briefly what you should do is to contact Fusion support through their email: support.fusion360@autodesk.com

Making your private matters public is not professional in a first place. Second thing, no one cares about your gems.

Forum serves whole community, even if someone's answering you directly, it's there for everyone's benefit.

Michał

daniel_lyall
Mentor

@yoshimitsuspeed find one of the team members and get them to do a NDA, you might have to just do it privately, and when you need help with something just start with I can't shear the model when it's NDA work. 

Your picks of the cam problem was enough for the idea of what you wont just not what it looks like. if you had a 4th it would be easy but they cost  

HughesTooling
Consultant

There was a member a while ago having trouble making the CAM machine the parts of the model he wanted, I asked if he'd upload the design because the problem would be easy to fix and demonstrate on his design, just needed to make the correct selections on the geometry tab. What I got was a similar answer to yours of not want to share the design or waste time making something similar to upload, so I just ignored his posts from then on. After about 6 weeks someone finally explained how boundaries and stock boundaries worked and all the problems were fixed, well there were no problem just lack of knowledge, he wasted hours of his time just because he wanted to be awkward and unhelpful.

If you don't want to waste your time making something similar to upload so someone can help why should anyone waste there time mocking something up to help you?

Mark

daniel_lyall
Mentor

@HughesTooling I was being nice He has not bagged me yet so I will help to he does. I think this need a New idea for ADSK to do some vids on selecting boundary's and using drawn boundary's, I only found out from monkey likes shiny. 

@michallach81 I'm guessing but am pretty, pretty sure that @yoshimitsuspeed reported a bug properly and then was asked for a design file.

@daniel_lyall the NDA is silly 99% of the time. Also @HughesTooling, Yoshi probably doesn't think AD or anyone else is likely to steal his designs (or even that they care about them in any way), it's more that being needlessly asked for them feels a bit like being asked to drop your pants for a rectal exam by someone at the DMV. It's not that you don't trust the guy and there might even be some logical explaination but there's just no reason for it and it's off-putting to be asked to do something uncomfortable and invasive. Doubly so to be treated like you're being awkward or unreasonable because you don't want to drop your pants or have a digit dropped on you by a bureaucrat.

HughesTooling
Consultant

@roambotics_scott the trouble in the CAM workspace is it can be just one setting that's misunderstood or misused and without the file it's going to waste a lot of time figuring out.

Take a look at this thread.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/computer-aided-machining-cam/can-t-generate-turning-tool-path/m-p/6294...

Someone having trouble with a simple part getting a turn toolpath. I thought to start with it was just a setup problem and needed spun profile, but for some reason it would not produce a toolpath both ends. I tried making a new setup and adding ops that should work, all failed. Eventually I thought I'd make sure the model was a closed solid, as soon as I went to the patch workspace I spotted the model had been moved and was in an unsaved position, I clicked revert and everything worked. Without the file I doubt anyone would have guessed what was wrong and a mock up of something similar wouldn't have found it either.

Mark

yoshimitsuspeed
Advisor

@michallach81

So you are saying that when I have even the simplest little questions I should just call tech support instead of using the forums even though someone on the forums should be able to answer my question without having access to my model?
Or that even if they could answer my question without seeing my model or recreate the issue on their end in 5 min that I shouldn't be bothered when they ask to see my work?
It doesn't matter if no one cares about my "gems". If it's my design I don't want it public. If it's someone elses designs then it would make me about the worlds biggest unprofessional dbag if I shared them publically.

roambotics_scott pretty much nailed it. It's not that every single design I do is so private I can't share it or that I think every design is so revolutionary I must protect it at all costs but much of what I do is private. The vast majority of what any professional designer does is private. I would feel more comfortable with you asking me for a **** pic than my models. Maybe that's just me but I was always taught that models and designs are something that you keep close to your chest. Getting sloppy can lead to mistakes that loose you big money, trash your reputation as a subcontractor or get you in a lawsuit. This is not stuff you take lightly.
So yes it is partially a matter of principle but I do think it sets the theme for the software. Acting like everyone should just share their stuff gives the forums the air that it's all just a bunch of amatures playing around and sharing designs.
I feel there should be more respect for this in general. If you need more information or more details then say so. For anyone with higher than a 4 ranking on this forum you don't think we would just provide the model if it was no big deal or if we though it was necessary to get the answer?

yoshimitsuspeed
Advisor

I was thinking about this again today and I realize that this may not be a big concern for a lot of people on the board and in many cases asking for this information could streamline helping people, esepecially new members and such.
What if AD just added another descriptor box up by our name and ranking number where people could choose a title or privacy level or something?
That way someone new who just signed up would automatically be noob or something and you would assume they will need all the help they can get and probably also assume they aren't working on top secret projects for NASA. Then you could change it to say DIYer, casual user or something if you don't usually work on sensitive material and would generally be happy to share your work. Or something like Private professional or something which would pretty much say to others. If I have come on the forum and have only supplied so much information it's probably because that's all I have time to or feel comfortable providing. If more information is necessary say so while trying to respect my privacy and if the actual model or data needs to be shared this should most likely be taken directly to a private conversation with AD.
This way we kind of know where people stand. People who are happy to share pics of themselves in the shower can do so while people who don't really like even being asked for them won't be bothered unless it's real important.

HughesTooling
Consultant

@yoshimitsuspeed for now you could put something in your signature saying

If no file's attached don't ask.

I think you'll need this code.

<p><font size="4" color="#FF0000">If no file's attached don't ask.</font></p>

From your profile page click Create your bio.

Clipboard01.png

and it's under Personal information, 

Clipboard02.png

Mark

promm
Alumni
Status changed to: RUG-jp審査通過

The Fusion team takes a lot of pride in how we interact with the community.  When we ask for files it is with the intention to help us best serve our customers.  We understand that time is important and having the files can greatly reduce the path to a solution.  In a continued effort to create the best customer experience, our team is researching ways to improve how we collect customer data when issues arise.  For people that have concerns about sharing their data, we offer NDA's and do private messaging. 

Regards,

Mike Prom

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report