Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing line weight and font size

Changing line weight and font size

Hi everyone, pretty much explained with the title, but it the drawings look pretty ugly with the current state of line weights and

the inability to change the size of the font when making drawings from the model. 

The line weights could be preloaded into different international standards for specific regions and customisable too. Perhaps allow the user to also use fonts that Illustrator, Photoshop, MS Office etc uses

lineweights.jpg

30 Comments
O.Tan
Advisor

don't forget custom drawing scales as well! Sometimes I need it to be 1:0.95

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dimension text size and font can be set, but options are limited. Frustratingly this doesn't affect Section letter sizes and other callouts.. and also cant be changed even in Autocad for some reason.. 

151029-0002.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

When I used to use ArchiCAD a few years ago, I remember needing to adjust the line weights and even colour near the start of the document.
Being able to change the colour would be quite useful too I suppose. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

In addition to all that's been said, I second this post too.

Drawing issues

TimeraAutodesk
Community Manager

Hey All,

Great points, thanks for posting here. A couple of notes:

- The seemingly 'limited' options for text height are actually intentional. Depending on if you are in ASME or ISO standard of drawing, we only expose Annotation Text Heights that adhere to that standard, which helps make standard-compliant drawings super simple. 

- Fonts can be found through the Annotation Settings as well, and you do have a wide variety of system fonts available to use, as you mentioned. Is there something else in particular that you're looking for, or does this solve your request?

Screen Shot 2015-11-10 at 10.17.28 AM.png

- The ability to assign layers that define line weights and styles is definitely on our roadmap, and I anticipate we will get to delivering that functionality in the spring of 2016. 

Hope you find this helpful, please don't hesitate to let me know if I've missed anything or if you have more comments/questions!

Best,

Timera

TimeraAutodesk
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes that answers the font and scaling issues, thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Then could the annotation size used for sections be looked at? they cant be changed and dont change with the overall settings. Seems like a bug then if they are supposed to follow the correct sizes according to the drawing standard.

Niels

TimeraAutodesk
Community Manager

@Anonymous Yes absolutely. Section and Detail view annotations are always 1 size larger than dimension text until the largest size is used by dimensions at which point all annotations use the same size. This is one of our 'fit-and-finish' items that's on our list to get out the door here in an update soon. 

Thanks,
Timera

Anonymous
Not applicable

At least for the short term and temporary quick fix, please consider making default fonts size at least 12 to 14 points for everything.

At this moment, Fusion 360 has a VERY poor user iterface.

benoitD336P
Enthusiast

It's November 2016 where is the Line weights options? Is it coming any time soon?

TimeraAutodesk
Community Manager

@benoitD336P - thanks for following up with us on this. The team is still working on this feature, and they have made good progress. We hope to be able to release the layer manager in one of the next major Fusion 360 updates.

Thanks for your patience!

Best,

Timera

corey.atx
Explorer

I have two issues with the font selection and rendering in the Drawing environment.

First, the font selector doesn't actually let me choose an individual font (file)just a family or typeface. I have a license to DIN OT that I'd like to use, but Fusion 360 automatically grabs a condensed variant with no way for me to select that I'd actually like the Medium or Regular variant/font. The result is awkward: 

Screen Shot 2018-01-28 at 3.08.13 PM.png

That should look more like this:

Screen Shot 2018-01-28 at 3.09.38 PM.png

The second issue I have is the spacing. Fusion has a rather rudimentary font rendering engine that doesn't seem to correctly space type. Even the default Arial renders with fractional values encroaching on the integers' space, and other fonts are worse still, such as in the first example.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear all,

can the weight of the lines now be edited?

thank you

Oliver

Anonymous
Not applicable

I still can not find any info that the line weight can somehow be edited in Fusion 360. I'm looking all over the internet but I cannot get it.

benoitD336P
Enthusiast

@Anonymous unfortunately they only came up with that silly check box to activate line weight, I frankly can't see much of a difference between with or without it my prints still looks aweful and bloby. Love the software in general but hates the drawing that comes out of it 😕 it's like the print option, it came with a couple silly check box with zero practical options with it.... I hope they will finally work on those to finally have professional drawings come out of Fusion

studmuffpaul
Contributor

I love how this post is labeled "Solved" yet there is no way to change lineweights in the drawing. The lineweight selection when you print makes EVERY line bolder including title block and profile lines in the isometric view rendering it totally useless unless your boss has bad eyes and uses a big button phone.. 

Can the solved thing be undone? This deserves attention as the drawing portion of Fusion is what needs the most help in my opinion.

Paul

benoitD336P
Enthusiast

@studmuffpaul, I totally agree with you, he drawing portion of Fusion is terrible and really not professional. They are autodesk, they know what it needs to be like, I'm ashamed every-time I deliver drawings to suppliers how bad they look! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

It seems this is an autodesk policy, that's the intent. Because they do not respond to these comments at all, but they react quickly to other trivial ones. I do not understand it, but it is a great shame, because this good product is degraded by this. Probably they do not want Fusion to spread much, because Inventor sales will drop, for example.

benoitD336P
Enthusiast

@Anonymous, that's exactly my thought! So why bother making this software in the first place, especially this good fro everything else!! SMH!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report