Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing line weight and font size

Changing line weight and font size

Hi everyone, pretty much explained with the title, but it the drawings look pretty ugly with the current state of line weights and

the inability to change the size of the font when making drawings from the model. 

The line weights could be preloaded into different international standards for specific regions and customisable too. Perhaps allow the user to also use fonts that Illustrator, Photoshop, MS Office etc uses

lineweights.jpg

30 Comments
anajgr
Observer

I have the same problem, my options are limited as @Anonymous  said. I can't believe it was a problem in 2015 and it is STILL a problem in 2019. Is there another solution?

TimeraAutodesk
Community Manager

@anajgr Fusion will load and use fonts from your system, and you can change the size of the text by changing them in the Annotation Settings menu:

Screen Shot 2019-03-20 at 9.53.15 AM.png

Lineweights are pre-set to the lineweight that is specified by the standard that the drawing is set at (ISO or ASME), though we have plans to open up more control for that in the future.

Anonymous
Not applicable

TimeraAudodesk has been promising since 2015 that they will improve the choice of line weight. It's 2019 and almost no improvement. I recently saw one episode of Star Trek, where astronauts look at a drawing created in Fusion 360 and the lines are still at the 2015 level.

TimeraAutodesk
Community Manager

@Anonymous if you're been around since 2015 then you know how much the drawings team has had on their plate to dig through, and we've been doing our best to tackle the long list, but we do realize that there is still a lot of work left to do - including adding more control for lineweights. If you haven't tried using the relatively new Title Block Editor or the Border Editor, then I encourage you to, as these environments are our first introduction to lineweight and linetype control, and we'll be using that foundational work to build off of so that we can extend it into the Drawing Sheets as well. Thanks for your patience, I realize it's frustrating to wait so long for a feature you're invested in. 

electronic_lichens
Contributor

@TimeraAutodesk  any idea on how long it'll take ? are we talking weeks, month or year ?

anthony.esau
Enthusiast

Adjustable line weight would be fantastic. For me it would be most beneficial to make the component a different weight from the dimension lines. Sometimes it is very hard to tell the outline and physical details of the component apart from all the other lines around it that label dimensions.

pstefun
Explorer

Hi there, 

is there a solution to this issue?

I mean - there is "Annotation text height" but only few options to choose from. I did not find any possibility to enter custom size of font, nor line weights.

At least, by default the dimension lines should be thinner, than outlines of parts. Otherwise there is often confusion.

I would really appreciate it, and I think many other Fusion 360 users as well. 

Many thanks. 

Peter

TimeraAutodesk
Community Manager

Hi @pstefun , the team is currently working on a solution to introduce line width control - for more info on the project, please see this post from the Feedback Hub: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-feedback-hub/line-width-control-in-drawings/idi-p/9063225.

More control for text heights is still on the long-term roadmap but have not been funded yet. Can I ask which text sizes you specifically need? Are the default options (which are the per-standard for ISO and ASME) too big / too small? Any additional info or samples you can give are very helpful and appreciated!

Best,

Timera

pstefun
Explorer

Hi Timera,

thank you for your kind reply. I appreciate it. Please find below my comments, and examples. 

The customer´s drawing is on the left (created in some 2D sw), my drawing is on the right (created in Fusion 360). I currently re-modeled the customer´s drawing, as I needed to supply 3D model for our milling machine. Both drawings are of the same scale (1:5) and sheet size (A3). You can see the differences in text size and line widths.

The main issue for me (and my colleagues and customers) is readibility and understandability of the drawings, as I need to deliver clear information, that must not be confused. Aesthetics is secondary for me, but after I invest a lot of time and energy into 3D modelling, professionally looking drawings I can be proud of, are also an important aspect. 

Schiene for Timera.jpg

The main areas for me are: 

- text formatting: as to the text size, I would appreciate more options / finer spaced options on the smaller side. I use the smallest "Annotation text height" 2,5mm, but even this font size is too big, and the drawing gets overfilled with large numbers, that hinders readibility. This relates also to tables. I would appreciate to have more control over size and other parameters of the text blocks in tables. As far as I know, currently no formatting of texts in tables is possible.

- lines formatting: I would appreciate the default width of dimension lines to be thinner, than outline lines. This would help to differ between actual parts, and dimension lines. Further line colors, line style (dashing) options would be great...

- patterns & hatching: very often I need to create 3D models (and drawings) out of complicated assemblies, that comprise many components. I need to distinguish the components somehow. I find this very difficult, as I did not find any usable method of filling of shapes with various patterns or hatching in Fusion 360 (yet).  

- snapping to points: when drawing dimension lines, sometimes it is not possible to snap to points on angled objects. I did not find out why.

- measurements: I did not find any way to measure and plot a dimension line of an arched part (the length of the bow). Just angle in degrees.

- splitting of long parts: sometimes it is convenient to be able to split a very long part, to enable it to fit into a drawing sheet with reasonable scale (example is attached). I did not find a solution in Fusion yet.

Assembly  for Timera.jpg

As I was working with vector graphics (Adobe Illustrator, Corel Draw), I was used to have full control over font size & other font options, line width & other options (dashing, colors...), as well as any other components of the sketch / drawing (tables, text boxes...)

I highly appreciate the 3D modeling capabilities of Fusion 360, but its capability of making readable and professionally looking drawings is limited.

I would be glad to send you more examples via private message, as most of the drawings I work with are confidential. 

Best Regards & looking forward your feedback.

Peter

Hi all, Circling back to this to let you know we've implemented line weights control in Drawings with yesterday's release. Check it out in the What's New Blog post and reach out to Fusion.Drawings@autodesk.com if you have any questions or feedback.Text height control is on our roadmap for later this year, as we have development teams gearing up to work on it soon. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report