Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAM: More Tool options

CAM: More Tool options

There are a couple things that would be kind of nice for some stuff in the CAM section.  Looking to have a radius option on the face mill  and pretty much all the other tools (for the most part) would be kind of cool.  Still waiting for a custom tool interface for custom profile tools.  I know it's not super necessary, but it would be nice for a couple things we do here.  A slotting/slitting saw option would also be kind of nice.  Right now I use the Key seat cutter and it does an ok job.  But the slotting saw has a bolt and washer on the bottom side that protrude about 3/16" from the bottom of the saw and it would be nice to be able to account for that so I can check clearances in the simulator.  Not super necessary, but would be nice.

19 Comments
daniel_lyall
Mentor

it's all comeing the more we ask  and vote the fast it may get done

@daniel_lyall Truste me we tried that.

But they kind of burned there hands on the early release in fusion so don't expect them to release it until it's 200% done and tested.

daniel_lyall
Mentor

yer I know, its hard for them to do can't weight 

bmxjeff
Collaborator

Custom Tools : )  I hear the talk

al.whatmough
Alumni
Status changed to: 実装済み

Rad & chamfer on a face mill are in progress

Custom formtools are in the back log

I will add Slitting saw to the backlog, it is an interesting one because it has "shaft" below the cutting edge.  On that note, how would you want to pick the tool up.  I would assume from the bottom of the cutting edge, not from the bottom of the bolt head.

On the housekeeping side, breaking this time of idea in to 3 ideas help the community an the team properly prioritize ideas.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Will be great to have support for Bull router bits.

Or even better, an option to define the shape of the tool from a sketch shape.

I'm working on furniture industry and I miss a lot an option to create my own form shape tool.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@al.whatmough When I touch off my saws to get the tool offset in the machine, I do it off of the bottom edge of the saw (as it is held in a verticle machine center).  I account for the bolt face that hangs down below the saw when I design the fixtures and program it as to avoid collisions.  What would be nice is to have 2 different shaft diamters, one for above the blade on the tool holder side, and one below.  Usually they are the same diameter, but not always.  Then its just saw thickness, # of teeth/flutes, and saw diameter.  Should be pretty easy and strait forward.

al.whatmough
Alumni

Thank you for the input.  This is was hoping/expected.

You want to define "shaft" below the cutter geometry strickly for the purpose of detecting collisions in the simulation.

Being honest, this is a great request.  However, it may require some architectural changes to how simulations are done.

As such, I am marking this as future consideration and asking the developers to give me feel back what it would take to implement a feature like this.

Thank you for suggesting this!

al.whatmough
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Anonymous
Not applicable

Form tools with custom profiles are a must for the woodworking industry.  We use custom ground insert tooling for every job we do.  The lack of this feature is a deal breaker for solid wood Architectural Millworking.  Autodesk is doing some amazing stuff with Fusion 360 and it so many features our $ 18,000 software doesn't.  I can't express how giddy I am having found your product.  Simultaneous 5 axis would be a God send but for now the 3 + 2 can work.  Just need the form tooling to move forward.  Thanks for your awesome product!

daniel_lyall
Mentor

@Anonymous it is comeing they just need to drop the apple side of things so it can be done faster 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@daniel_lyall No way.  I run a Mac descktop at home and it's sooooo nice to be able to work on that vs the smaller screen of my windows laptop.  Frankly, I see the Mac compatibility as a huge draw.  I don't think anything else out there has CAM on Mac at this point.  That was actually one of the major selling points of Fusion to me.  Now if it would run on Linux as well, that would be really awesome too.  Not that I am a Linux guy, but it would still be cool none the less.

daniel_lyall
Mentor

@Anonymous i was takeing the piss

bmxjeff
Collaborator
@daniel_lyall Don't be prejudice against Mac. Maybe PCs will be as productive one day. Maybe Windows 11? Or 12. Who knows. It's coming.
daniel_lyall
Mentor

win 10 is the best yet, the cost of a mac is of the scale I could get a of the scale windows computer for the same price what would be faster than said apple.

bmxjeff
Collaborator
daniel_lyall
Mentor

that just shows that a mac the same as my laptop cost a lot more I dont have a junk base laptop I have a very powerfull laptop the closes mac to what I pad is $300 less and just under half as powerfull

Anonymous
Not applicable

Also adding a 'Back chamfer tool' / Single point Threadmill to the library is needed. Currently you have to use the Dovetail cutter but this obvoiusly doesnt account for the rest of the tool below the centre cut line. Causes extra work to try and measure the tool accurately and allow / trick the CAM to cut without colision and at the apprpriate chamfer tip & radial offset.

Thanks

rhdfmail
Advocate

Waking this one

What about a option for corner-radius on flat endmills? OK, if I want one I can use a bullnose, but a Flat endmill with a 0,2mm radius is'nt really a bullnose. It would at least be handy for management of tool-libraries.
I know the tool is a 6mm flat end, but if I have like.. 4 different ones with 0-0,5mm radius it would be nice to be able to see that in the list

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report