Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to SHELL and SPLIT nor SPLIT and SHELL body from STEP file

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
bradanlane
828 Views, 6 Replies

unable to SHELL and SPLIT nor SPLIT and SHELL body from STEP file

I am trying to work with this (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1363148) object.

gecko model courtesy of WebmasterZerogecko model courtesy of WebmasterZero

I need to scale it up, shell it, split the shell, and then add things like screw holes, mounts for small LEDs, etc.

The author posted STL, IGS, and STEP files.

I can SPLIT the STL but I end up with infinitely thin walls which I can not thicken and can not add new design to.

I can upload the STEP file and SPLIT it but then I can not SHELL it.

I'd be interested in suggestions for steps which may work.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
bradanlane
in reply to: bradanlane

I tried uploading the IGS file and running a similar flow as with the STEP file:

1. upload
  2. open
  3. stitch all faces (this step was not required with the STEP file)
  4. scale
  5. create offset plane
  6. split body

The result was the same. I get an error "No intersection between target(s) and split tool.

During the slit operation, it is clear the extended plane cuts through the entire body.

Message 3 of 7
TrippyLighting

Splitting might be the current hurdle - although it did work for me - , but the real road block will be shelling it. This is complex geometry that was created by converting a qualms into a NURBS model either using T-SPlines or PolyNurbs evidenced by the 32MB file size of the STEP file. It also  has tight radii in some places.

EESignature

Message 4 of 7
bradanlane
in reply to: TrippyLighting

Actually, a simple SPLIT using an offset plane is not a problem.

My solution has been to split the body into "top" and "bottom", project the split surface onto a sketch and then manually create a few enclosed splines inset from projected edge. I then create several extrudes only as much as I needed to fit the electronics inside.

It's not pretty on the inside but it will work.

Message 5 of 7
TrippyLighting

That s probably the best approach in this particular case.

EESignature

Message 6 of 7
bradanlane
in reply to: TrippyLighting

for completeness, I tried creating a series of offset planes. Then, projecting the model body where it intersected each plane. The hope was to create a series of outlines which I could then use to loft. That wasn't successful..

For some reason, the projected outline was not contiguous. Even after editing to make it contiguous, I was not able to create an offset. Forgoing the offset, I decided to just try creating all of the outlines and attempting the loft. Fusion 360 froze up on the third sketch plane.

Message 7 of 7
TrippyLighting

That approach had zero chance of success 😉

Ideally you would have had access to the original quad mesh this model was created with. That would have allowed you to easily modify the critical areas around the eyes and mouth in sculpt mode and possibly would have increased your chance of being able to split shell this object.

But even then Fusion 360 might have had a problem shelling this. For example I tried splitting the model in halve vertically between front legs and rear legs and then just shell the less critical tail end. Fusion 360 didn't do this.

The other more powerful and mature (and more expensive) CAD application I use had no problem shelling the tail end, but only shelled the front with a really thin wall thickness due to the tight curvature. However, it also has many more options to deal with self intersecting geometry, which would have allowed it to create a thicker shell. However, I did not pursue.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report