Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tangency constraint not working on 3D spline?

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
Art5
1284 Views, 19 Replies

Tangency constraint not working on 3D spline?

In another thread that I started, I was trying to use loft and rails unsuccessfully to create a patch. I was told to make a 3D sketch of a spline and use tangent constraints to make it tangent to the two edges, thus defining the fourth edge of my patch. I've been able to do this successfully many times, but today it won't work for some reason. Anybody have any ideas why?Tangent constraint applied, but doesn't change the spline...Tangent constraint applied, but doesn't change the spline...

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
TrippyLighting
in reply to: Art5

Yes, it's a bug that can pretty much stop you in your tracks when working with surfaces. We (@cekuhnen and myself and likely others) have reported this several times dating back years but it still creeps up al too often.

It might even go so far that it allows you to create the constraint and then you cannot adjust the spline handle. Or you can adjust the spline handle on one side but the smoother tangent constraint on the oath rose turns red but also cannot be re-created when you delete it.

I should ad that this advice was correct and creating a blend curve is the correct technique.

Please share the model so the Fusion 360 team has data to work with.

@ryan.bales @jeff_strater can you look at this please ?

In the last 3-4  weeks this kicked me in the teeth in a personal project, in a thread where I helped a user with a 2D spline (I reported that one), and I've seen this also when helping with the model in this thread just trying to create a simple 2D blend curve. 

So in essence this is not only limited to a 3D spline and the problem here is that I don't know a feasible workaround.

EESignature

Message 3 of 20
Art5
in reply to: TrippyLighting

Well, that sucks. 

Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it. 

Is there a workaround for this?

Message 4 of 20
Art5

I've attached a file with the surfaces and problem sketch.

Message 5 of 20
TrippyLighting

@Art5 wrote:

Well, that sucks. 

Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it. 

Is there a workaround for this?

Are then two curves you are trying to create the spline between coplanar ?

Can you share the model ?

EESignature

Message 6 of 20
TrippyLighting

Where is the origin in the model ?

It is so far away from the geometry that when I try to create a new sketch I do not even get a plane to pick!

EESignature

Message 7 of 20
Art5

I've shared the surfaces in question. Negative on that, the edges are NOT co-planar.

Message 8 of 20
Art5

I build in body position, the part file came from the customer.

Message 9 of 20
TrippyLighting

So how far is the origin of the supplied geometry located form the part geometry  ?

EESignature

Message 10 of 20
Art5

I was able to build the spline by including 3D geometry first, then using those curves to build from. Unfortunately, when I try to build the patch, I can select the spline, OR the surface edges, but not the spline AND the surface edges. Why is this?

Message 11 of 20
Art5

Looks like about 60 feet in X

Message 12 of 20
TrippyLighting

So the object in the model you shared is approximately 6 " x 3" but 60 ft away from the origin so the ratio between object size and distance from the origin is 120! That is not a good ting and likely part of this problem with creating and selecting the curve.

Extrude a small surface from the curve and use edge of the surface instead of the curve. Then you can patch it.

I would usually not use a patch but a loft, but the curvature on some of the edges of this model is garbage and prevents a loft.

EESignature

Message 13 of 20
Art5

I tried extruding a surface from the curve and using that, to no avail. 

Message 14 of 20
TrippyLighting

Not sure what to tell you.I succeeded in doing that just before I posted, but now cannot re-create it.

Things will possibly improve if you move the geometry closer to the origin.

EESignature

Message 15 of 20
Art5

There were 4 instances on this part where I tried to use this method. I was able to do it successfully on two of the instances, the other two I was not able to get it to work. I've attached a file with the required surfaces from the 2 failed instances. Hopefully someone can tell me what's going on with them and how to achieve what I need to do.

Message 16 of 20
Art5

If the customer sends me more data pertaining to this job, that data will be in the body position they provided me with, therefore it's not conducive to my workflow to move the data out of it's body position. 

Message 17 of 20
etfrench

Can't you move it, make the necessary changes, then move it back?

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 18 of 20
TrippyLighting

After reading your intention to use patch where a loft is clearly the better alternative I went back trough some of your other threads.

I am not sure what experience you have in other CAD tools, but I believe part of your problems. stems from incomplete knowledge in using proper surfacing techniques, which disables you from properly identifying the source of these problems.  For your work, which I assume is some form of tools & die making there is one essential tool missing in Fusion 360 and that is an untrim tool.

In this case we can get away by the width of a hair not having to use it. But there are other cases where that will not work. Something you definitely should always do before lofting is check the curvature of the edges you are hoping to loft between. If the curvature is bad you'll run into trouble sooner or later.

EESignature

Message 19 of 20
Art5

I've used many different CAD systems, but mostly just in an educational context. At my last shop I used SolidWorks, but exclusively for 2D, never for 3D. At my current shop they originally had me using BobCAD, and as you described, I used the Untrim tool constantly. Despite being fairly powerful in the CAM aspect, I was unimpressed with the CAD aspect of BobCAD, especially coming from a background in CATIA and NX. This is why we decided to try F360.

I'm certainly no expert in this, I'm learning every day. Which is why I'm so grateful for these forums, that have been invaluable in helping me to use F360 successfully.

Your screencast was VERY helpful, I was able to use the techniques you demonstrated to finish this job, and on many others since. Thank you so much! 

Message 20 of 20
TrippyLighting

No worries, we all learn every day! Glad it helped!

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report