Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STL Exported Sideways?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
omatsei
7239 Views, 6 Replies

STL Exported Sideways?

I'm new to Fusion 360, so I apologize if this is a stupid question. I'm creating some basic 3D models, then exporting them to STL files for 3D printing. The problem is that when I export them, the models come out sideways, so I have to rotate them 90 degrees before printing. Is that expected behavior? Am I doing something wrong?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
PhilProcarioJr
in reply to: omatsei

@omatsei

Your building them in the wrong orientation and that's why you have to rotate them.

Could be which axis you have set to up. By default Fusion sets the Y axis as up, now depending on what software you export the .stl to this could be wrong.

I always set Z-up because all my printing and mill work requires this. Try setting your default orientation to Z up and see if that helps.

I might also add that changing your default orientation to Z up will not change it in files already created. You will have to create a new model after the change to test it.

Untitled.png

Phil Procario Jr.
Owner, Laser & CNC Creations

Message 3 of 7
omatsei
in reply to: PhilProcarioJr

That makes a lot of sense, actually. I was having trouble figuring out why my axes were a little off from what I expected. Thank you!

Message 4 of 7
omatsei

How do I orient an existing design to the new axis, so when I export it, it comes out correctly?

Message 5 of 7
PhilProcarioJr

@omatsei

You have to rotate it with the move command. Select the component and hit the M key, rotate it and save the file.

There is no way as far as I know to change the orientation of files already created.

One thing you can do is create a new file after you rotate the model in the old file, drag it into the new file and break the link and save the new file, then delete the old one.

I can make a video if you need it.

Phil Procario Jr.
Owner, Laser & CNC Creations

Message 6 of 7

Thank you for showing how to customize the "Default Up Axis".  I am switching to Z Up right away, and now my STL's will pop out correctly.

Message 7 of 7

I've seen you can also redefine the sketch plane. You can orient it to Z and then select your view on the cube and set it as "top". You can also change your home on the cube to fit your new default. I've solved mine that way and i've also changed my default to Z axis.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report