Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Split Body - No Intersection Error

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
neinspam2XVWZ
442 Views, 10 Replies

Split Body - No Intersection Error

I took a mesh and converted it to Brep solid.  I created multiple offset planes to use as the "tool" for the Split Body function.  I split/layered the body 4 times similar to what you might get with Slicer.  On the 5th split I get an intersection error.  On screen the plane appears to pass through the body.  What in the body could be causing the intersect error?  

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

it will be hard to tell with out looking at the actual file. bodies made by converting meshes to breps are notorious for being problematic in fusion.

Message 3 of 11

but you can also try to divide the body and only then the body. When marking, make sure that you have marked all areas. so i often cut generative design bodies. greetings mango
Message 4 of 11

I've uploaded my project file if anyone is curious to take a look.  It is the construction "Plane -2" through the last un-split body piece that is giving me the error.

Message 5 of 11

hi, at first glance I wonder what you are doing with this accident. you can't really do anything with that. don't even try in solid because there are many mistakes inside. make your cuts across the body and raise the surfaces to each other up to half and then mirror. your plan is unfortunately not feasible and too imprecise anyway.

sorry mango

2021-12-28_19-04-29.png2021-12-28_18-48-50.png

Message 6 of 11

2021-12-28_19-27-41.png2021-12-28_19-49-01.png

Message 7 of 11

Just to be clear, you are  saying the "body" or solid is the problem not the method or work flow correct?

Message 8 of 11

The geometry is of questionable quality. The workflow of converting it to a BRep is also wrong in 99% of cases.

EESignature

Message 9 of 11

Hello, you should actually see for yourself how bad the mesh or your converted body is. that looks like a comb. I also wrote to you that you are doing it wrong when you make long cuts. you would need hundreds to do a job of quality. I showed you how to do it - just go to the sketches that I modified. greetings mango
Message 10 of 11

@neinspam2XVWZ wrote:

Just to be clear, you are  saying the "body" or solid is the problem not the method or work flow correct?

as covered by others, the mesh is pretty horrible, and converting a mesh to a brep is almost always a bad idea regardless.

as far as the work flow goes, depends on what you want to do with this.  most of us here will be focused on rebuilding it from scratch in fusion, in which case splitting it up horizontally serves no purpose.

but if you for some reason needed those horizontal slices for other un-stated purposes than modeling, then you can perform those splits on the mesh body directly, but I wouldn't do it in fusion.  I would clean the model up some in mesh mixer and split it up there. 

Message 11 of 11

I understand, the body is not really workable.  So I'm going to build the body in Fusion360 from a blueprint/drawing I have.

Definitely needs to be horizontal slices.  I'm trying to derive from the propeller body the staggered blanks or laminations save on material and processing time.

StackedLaminations.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report