Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solid Meshing Error: "No Further Information"

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
jbtaylor1103
980 Views, 9 Replies

Solid Meshing Error: "No Further Information"

I am attempting to run an stress analysis on a solid model made from a scanned 3D model. However, whenever I try to generate the mesh I get the error shown in the images: "Meshing Error! Phase: Solid Meshing. Description: No further information".

Because of the "no further information", I don't even know where to begin with fixing the problem. For reference, the large number of triangular faces is a result of converting the 3D-scanned surface mesh into a solid model, and the irregular faces are the result of manual corrections to the model.

MeshError3.PNGMeshError.PNGMeshError2.PNG

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Can you File>Export your *.f3d file to your local drive and then Attach it here to a Reply?

Message 3 of 10

Okay, the file is attached.

Message 4 of 10

I would use the scanned data only for reference (preferably with a set of calipers for measurement and the actual item) to remodel rather than try to mesh this geometry.

Looks like about 3-5 hrs of work should return a model appropriate for FEA.

Message 5 of 10

Is there any particular reason why meshing this model is a bad idea?

Message 6 of 10

Here are just a few of the issues.

Message 7 of 10

Ok thanks, I didn't know there were that many problems with it, and I now understand why you recommended remodelling it from scratch. My problem now is that I almost certainly will not be able to accurately model all of the curves. But if I can't use this scanned model directly, there's no other option it seems. Thanks again!

Message 8 of 10

Just using the scanned model for reference - you can model a far better model that is good enough for FEA.

I don't think you need a model accuracy that you might expect.

If you need a precise model then you are a country mile away with this faceted rubbish.

What is the material?

What type of analysis?  Linear or non-linear?

Message 9 of 10

Okay I'm pretty new to FEA, so I guess I'm not sure how accurate a model I actually need. To try and answer your questions: it's Aluminium (probably 6061), and I think a non-linear analysis? I know I want to do a dynamic stress/strain and modal (vibration) analyses at least. I have Nastran In-Cad in Inventor 2017 if Fusion 360 can't handle that sort of simulation.

Message 10 of 10

Hi TheCADWhisperer -

I'm having a similar issue and am trying to diagnose what's specifically wrong. I don't see any "odd" surfaces on my model like what you've highlighted in your video. Did you use a particular tool to diagnose the model and highlight certain surfaces in red? 

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Michael

EDIT: I'm attaching the file I'm working with (the top jawbone of a grizzly bear, actually). And the specific face I know I'm having trouble with is colored in red, middle of the left portion of the top surface. Screenshots: 

Iso View 1.PNGIso View 2.PNGIso View 3.PNG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report