Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet Metal Bending Odd Angles

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
richard.routh
844 Views, 7 Replies

Sheet Metal Bending Odd Angles

I am trying to design a sheet metal bumper. I started with a sketch for the top plate then proceeded using the method described here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4Agn8bWKZY

When I try to unfold, it does not allow me to select the top plate and doesn't recognize the side plates as bent. It does seem to recognize the entire body as sheet metal though. Can someone help me understand why Fusion doesn't recognize the other bends or point me in the right direction for fixing this? File is attached.

Labels (3)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Are all of your sketches fully defined?  (Especially Sketch1?)

Are there any unresolved issues highlighted in yellow in your Timeline?

Is your material Thickness uniform?

Message 3 of 8

You have a large number of sketches.

You really only need 3 or 4 sketches.

TheCADWhisperer_0-1607972888104.png

Message 4 of 8

I tried cleaning it up and getting it simplified again. I still get a body error when I try to unfold or create flat panel. File attached.

Edit: Figured out I had my flange inverted. I changed the side for the flange operation. Now it lets me create flat pattern! BUT, it only does the outer sides (not the front 6 faces) and gives a red error but does NOT let me right click the red icon to see what the error is. I'm regretting a lot of life choices right now...

Edit2: It looks like these are the reason the front faces won't unfold. These weren't here before I did the flange and thicken operations. If I delete them in the sheet metal screen I get a body error and it won't unfold anymore.

Message 5 of 8

One of the 4 rules of sheet metal is that it must be uniform thickness.

TheCADWhisperer_0-1608039096538.png

Hybrid Modeling Techniques for Sheet Metal - YouTube

Message 6 of 8

Thank you so much for your help! I'll send an update when she comes back from the plasma cutter! 

Message 7 of 8

As promised. Here are the photos so far. I still need to take measurements and design the upper section and grille, but I'm very happy with how well this design cut and folded! Its just tacked for now. I will send updates as the build progresses.

Message 8 of 8

I am impressed how much progress you made from initial post.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report