Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sculpting from SVG?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
285 Views, 5 Replies

Sculpting from SVG?

Hi all - 

Working on a little pet project and having some trouble figuring out how to add some sculpting depth / roundness to an imported SVG. 

I come from C4D world - and am having trouble picking up some of the basics of fusion. As you can see below - I've started extruding the SVG into the cylinder - What i'm trying to do now is give it a sculpted feel. I'm pretty comfortable sculpting with the generated forms in Fusion, but am assuming there's a way to sculpt from this SVG import?

Project:

Screen Shot 2021-05-13 at 9.53.53 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-05-13 at 9.54.10 AM.png

Something similar to what I'm trying to produce:

skully.jpeg

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
TrippyLighting
in reply to: Anonymous

If you wan to "sculpt" oo Sub-D model this anyway, why do you use Fusion 360. Yu might as well do that in C4D export the quad mesh into Fusion 360 and then convert it into a T-Spline.

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: TrippyLighting

I'd like to keep this project within Fusion 360. Plan on doing a bunch of these so figured might as well learn a bit of Fusion 360

Message 4 of 6
TrippyLighting

Your earlier statement, which you deleted from your post was the C34D meshes are not the best for 3D printing.

That is contrary to my experience with properly modeled Sub-D meshes. .stls created from properly modeled meshes follow the exact mesh flow and if the resolution is too small, increasing the level of subdivision makes easy work of it.

I also don't think you completely understood what I told you. A properly modeled quad mesh can be imported into Fusion 360 and converted into a T-spline with no loss of fidelity. hat T-SPline can then be edited with all the normal T-PSLine tools in FUiosn 360.

I intentionally used the term "properly modeled" three times in the.

Based on your statements so far I propose that your experience in C4D is also not very deep 😉

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: TrippyLighting

I'm not super knowledgeable at exporting assets from c4d - just rendering final products. 

That being said - all my of knowledge is hobby level!

I just mean that I'd like to build any 3d printed assets in Fusion so as to avoid the hassle of importing from other programs etc. I've been told Fusion 360 is the best program for that in terms of sculpting capabilities!

From what I briefly read - it seems that exporting c4d meshes gets tricky in terms of keeping curvatures correct and whatnot? Also the models all need to be watertight in order to move them to fusion?

Message 6 of 6
TrippyLighting

Fusion 360 has a fairly intuitive interface for modeling T-Splines but is very far from being the best mesh modeling software. That is indeed utter nonsense!

I use Blender very often and in conjunction with Fusion 360!) and as it pertains to Sub-D mesh modeling it’s abilities far exceed Fusion 360’s and the same is true for C4D. However. Blender is not as easy to learn as Fusion 360.

having said al that, I would use the SVG only as a visual guideline for mesh or T-Spline modeling in whatever software is used.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report