Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem making joints with Inserted components with Joint Origins

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
bart_k
147 Views, 5 Replies

Problem making joints with Inserted components with Joint Origins

bartk_0-1665647703350.png

When making the joint, the component stays on the original place, while the joint origing goes on the right place.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
davebYYPCU
in reply to: bart_k

Yes, 

What is grounded?

Blue plate is not a Component.

Sooo many Joint Origins, use the component snap points, and the Joint Offset Dialogue.

CstrTrlly.PNG

See if this helps.

Might help...

Message 3 of 6
TrippyLighting
in reply to: bart_k

In Fusion 360, grounding is only local to particular design. So you might ground Component3 in the Caster, but once you insert the Caster into the Karretje the design it floats again.

The most reliable way to assemble all the parts in the Caster is to create a rigid group joint. The rigid group joint does not require you to select geometry, but locks the origins of all involved components in place. The rigid group should also include the top level origin.

We know that in reality that wheel rotates when the caster rolls over a surface, but in CAD it is rather useless to apply a revolute joint as it does not add essential functionality to the design. If this would be a hinge, for example,  that would be different.

Also, because you are not actually creating any geometry in the Caster, and converting the bodies into components is not adding any functionality in this case., there is no reason to enable the timeline.

That keeps the memory footprint of your designs up to factor three smaller.

As @davebYYPCU stated, in this case I would not use any joint origins. I would use the center of the mounting plate of the caster as a snap point for a joint.

The other "issue" that @davebYYPCU was trying to explain is that the base plate is a body in a component group/assembly. From a pure assembly standpoint that will work, but if you want to create a functioning BOM, it wont, because that base plate is not it's own component. It will show up as geometry in an assembly drawing, but you won't be able to balloon it and it won't be listed on the BOM.

EESignature

Message 4 of 6
davebYYPCU
in reply to: TrippyLighting

That the blue plate is not a component - I was not able to Joint to it, (unselectable) until it was converted.

Might help.....

Message 5 of 6
bart_k
in reply to: davebYYPCU

What is grounded?    it doesn't matter here

Blue plate is not a Component. it doesn't matter here

Sooo many Joint Origins, use the component snap points, and the Joint Offset Dialogue. Good Suggestion

I really want to use the caster assembly as linked file, i don't want to embed it.

I did found the solution myself: the joint origin may not be on assembly level but on the level of component3.
Joint offset could be a better alternative.

Message 6 of 6
bart_k
in reply to: TrippyLighting

Thx for the insights, i will take them in mind in future designs.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report