Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plane normal to line at point

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
salvatore13
1647 Views, 9 Replies

Plane normal to line at point

Hi guys, I'm struggling with creating a plane that would be normal to the path and placed at a certain point. The "Plane Along The Path" doesn't let me choose the point so it won't work. 

So on the below screenshot, you can see the edges at which I need to create number of sketches that are normal to the line and are at very specific points...

salvatore13_0-1602936817745.png

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
g-andresen
in reply to: salvatore13

Hi,

are you looking for something like this?

plane at point on path.gif

günther

Message 3 of 10
salvatore13
in reply to: g-andresen

This would get the job done for 2D line but the profile I'm working on is a intersection curve which means it's a 3D line without a simple sketch where I could do what you've shown here. 

Message 4 of 10
etfrench

How are you determining the specific points?  Use that to position the plane on path.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 5 of 10
salvatore13
in reply to: etfrench

the point's are projected on to the line from another sketch. This is a hydrofoil design so I want to make sure dimensions are on the spot. Also I could actually use the method shown above but this would render my spline geometry useless because it would be cut into pieces and editing wouldn't be possible anymore.

salvatore13_1-1602970668666.png

What you see there is done manually so the planes are created using "plane along the path" option roughly where the points are but this unfortunately won't update if I change the geometry.

SG6041.PNG

and here is the final result

Message 6 of 10
etfrench

On a copy of the spline, cut it at the intersection points (starting at one end). Use the Measure tool to get the length of the remainder.  (Set the precision in Preferences to the maximum in order to get accurate measurements.) Use the length to set the distance of the Plane on Path. 

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 7 of 10
g-andresen

Hi,

1. Maybe "Split Face" will create what you want.

split face 2t.png
2. Be careful when using so many profiles. Less is more.

Message 8 of 10

If I understand the problem correctly you want planes perpendicular to the projection of the 3D curve?

The workflow in my screencast will create planes perpendicular to the projection of the curve, the planes will be positioned on points along the curve and only rotated along one axis (Y).

And you can update the spline and the planes will update.

Edit: Embeded screencast didn't work link:
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast/68a5e3a0-b58c-43cb-afff-c195e08f3f08 

Message 9 of 10

@salvatore13 

Is something like this what you are after?

(I forgot to show at the end that it is fully parametric if I change the spline.)

Message 10 of 10
tonyelk
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

@TheCADWhisperer This is exactly the functionality I'm after in Fusion 360, but doesn't seem to be possible.

1. There ought to be a plane type that is "normal to curve at point", which simply appears to be missing from the list of plane options.

2. The generic workplane tool you used in the Inventor example would be a much more efficient way to create planes. The type of plane is determined by the types of reference geometries selected, eliminating the need to identify which specific plane tool is needed. This approach also allows planes to be redefined as different types, rather than having to create a new plane and update all dependencies before deleting the old plane.

@KristianLaholm workaround is somewhat acceptable for 2D curves but doesn't really work for 3D curves.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report