Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non-Symmetrical Fillet?

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
brandonZBT9W
272 Views, 2 Replies

Non-Symmetrical Fillet?

Hi all, new to Fusion360 (just purchased it last week).  I should probably sign up for some classes, but until then hopefully someone can answer what I feel like should be an easy question...

I'm attempting to model a part that has two rounded corners and I'm not quite sure where to begin.  I figured I would start a sketch, add a rectangle, filet the 2 corners I need rounded, then extrude the sketch up to add depth.  Unfortunately my fillet needs to be 2 7/16" on one side and 1 13/16" on the other (so more of an oval than a perfect circle) and for the life of my I can't figure out how to do this.

Unfortunately I don't have a file to share, as I haven't really been able to get started yet not knowing how to properly add an "oval" fillet.

I assume fillet isn't the tool I should be using, so I've tried with arc and ellipse as well; I can come close with an ellipse but I can't figure out how to place the ellipse so that it snaps to the edge of my rectangle correctly, etc. (and then I assume I'll need to intersect or subtract the difference?)

Anywho, apologies for not explaining this better or providing any other images of my idea heh.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
jhackney1972
in reply to: brandonZBT9W

I am not sure I captured your idea correctly but I will give it my guess.  I used a spline between two dimensioned points.  Splines are approximations but maybe you can get what you desire.  One corner of a rectangle is attached.

Unique Fillet Corner.jpg

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 3

@brandonZBT9W wrote:

I assume fillet isn't the tool I should be using, so I've tried with arc and ellipse as well; I can come close with an ellipse but I can't figure out how to place the ellipse so that it snaps to the edge of my rectangle correctly, etc. (and then I assume I'll need to intersect or subtract the difference?)

Anywho, apologies for not explaining this better or providing any other images of my idea heh.

If you want to use an ellipse just sketch near the corner, add 2 coincident constraints at the ends of the axis then dimension. Don't try trimming the ellipse because that will remove the constraints and there's no need to trim as you can select multiple profiles when extruding.

Add coincident constraints at the ends of the axis.

HughesTooling_0-1685958993019.png

HughesTooling_1-1685959099809.png

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report