Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to scale a pipe without scaling the diameter of the pipe?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
itchytoes
518 Views, 6 Replies

Is it possible to scale a pipe without scaling the diameter of the pipe?

Hi -

I'd like to be able to scale a pipe created from a sketch but not scale the diameter of the pipe itself.

Is that possible?

Thanks

Betty

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
jeff_strater
in reply to: itchytoes

Hi @itchytoes,

The answer is "yes, kind of".  You can use the Scale command in "non-uniform scale" mode to do this, if it happens to be oriented along the major axes (there is no "reorient" in the scale command, unfortunately):

But, if your pipe is sketch-based, you can always just edit the sketch and make the line longer:

Jeff

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 3 of 7
itchytoes
in reply to: jeff_strater

Hi  -

Thanks for the reply.  

My pipe is never just a straight line.   It's always some sort of curvy thing, or a closed loop thing.   So, there's really no one axis it can grow on.

I tried to find a scale command under the sketch operation.  Is there such a thing, or did I miss it?

Betty

Message 4 of 7
PhilProcarioJr

@itchytoes

Can you make a screen cast showing what you want? I have a feeling the scale tool is not the tool your really after.

Phil Procario Jr.
Owner, Laser & CNC Creations

Message 5 of 7
HughesTooling

If you edit the sketch there's an option to scale.

temp.png

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 7
itchytoes
in reply to: HughesTooling

Hi --

I didn't want to to bother with a screen cast, but I uploaded an image.  It just shows a pipe created from a sketch.

I'd like to be able to make the pipe bigger, but keep the pipe diameter the same.

I found the sketch scale tool -- that may work but I think it might be more work.   Sometimes I want to make a pipe from one sketch, copy the pipe a few times and just scale the copies.  Otherwise, I would need more sketches, which seems like more work and more sketches to keep track of.  But maybe that's just me.

Betty

Message 7 of 7
etfrench

Bigger is an ambiguous term. I'm assuming you want to retain the current shape, but have a larger perimeter.

If you create the pipe from a sketch, then you can scale the sketch and then create the pipe using either the pipe or sweep commands. 

When using the Press/Pull command you can enter the precise diameter/radius needed.

ETFrench

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report