Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to determine surface contact area between two components/bodies?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
926 Views, 6 Replies

How to determine surface contact area between two components/bodies?

Hi, I am currently using Fusion 360 and do enjoy the software. Nonetheless, I have a question related to the tools that can be used. I have two components that are assembled (virtually) such that the two respective faces are touching each other (as per screenshot). Is there any way to determine, using Fusion 360, the total contact area between the two pieces? Thanks, FZ

Labels (2)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
g-andresen
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi, since one can neither see what the interfaces of the bodies look like nor how they were created, no clues can be given. For this you would have to share your design. File > Export > save as f3d locally >attach to next post günther
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: g-andresen

Attached is the assembly file of two bodies illustrating the problem.

Message 4 of 7
g-andresen

Hi, As long as the components are linked (chain symbol), it is not possible to combine them. What you can do is use a connect them via joint Otherwise you have to break the links (right click > break link). günther
Message 5 of 7
TheCADWhisperer

The current contact area is 33.998mm^2.

Contact Area.PNG

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

Thank you for your answer. Would I be able to use the same method for more complex geometries too?

Message 7 of 7
TheCADWhisperer

@Anonymous wrote:

Would I be able to use the same method for more complex geometries too?

There is always a way...

...trimmed surface comes to mind...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report