Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Holes in curved sheet metal

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
daniel.ea.kron
800 Views, 21 Replies

Holes in curved sheet metal

Hi. I'm trying to make holes on a curved sheet metal surface. The holes need to be normal to the face of the sheet metal of course. The intention is to make threads in the holes after the sheet metal has been cut out for production and been bent. As one knows, it is not possible to use the unfold and fold command for curved surfaces that do not have a "normal" face. Therefor I have to use the "flat pattern" command before makin the drawing.

My design consist of 2 curved sheet metals that will be bolted together with countersunk screws. Ideally I think the best result will be achieved if it was possible to make an assembly of the 2 components and then drill into both sheet metals using the hole command, and thereafter make the threads in one of the sheet metals. Is that possible? Note: I have the hole pattern in a sketch (maybe I can project the sketch onto the sheet metal?) 🤷‍:male_sign:

I attach an assembly of two sheet metals that I want to bolt together.

NOTE: The holes (pattern) are found in respective sketch for each part (sketch2). It is the same sketch in both parts. Maybe I can add a sketch in the assembly which I can use to cut both screens? 🤷‍:male_sign: 

Sincerely
Daniel  

21 REPLIES 21
Message 21 of 22
davebYYPCU
in reply to: daniel.ea.kron

Hole Tool, and curved faces do not compute.

If your sketch point is located on a Tangent Plane, you select the plane for the hole starting position, because it is a flat plane.  

You can Offset that plane for another sketch / sketch point, but I am not sure of the last question.

Might help....

Message 22 of 22
hamid.sh.
in reply to: daniel.ea.kron

If your goal is just render and sheet metal's curve profile is circular (my sketch 1) you can try this: make one cylindrical hole normal to face, unfold, pattern Faces of (now oval) hole, refold, apply thread (all of the oval holes refold back to cylindrical, so can be selected for thread):

test.png

It's just that when you have a hole on a non-flat surface modeled thread generates this (not related to unfold/refold; unsuppress my first thread to see it has same effect. If thread tool let extending it could be solved):

thread.png

Hamid

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report