Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help saving me from wasting work in sculpting a prop head in fusion, Helllllp

40 REPLIES 40
SOLVED
Message 1 of 41
ianhughes7UFVF
1807 Views, 40 Replies

Help saving me from wasting work in sculpting a prop head in fusion, Helllllp

Hi

You probably have seen this project before but I seem to have struck a wall with it.

I carn't get back into the scuplt area to continue editing the forms. When I try to edit them, they go into the sculpt area but the head is transparent and uneditable.

med 1.JPG

It was fine untill I discovered that it wasn't scaled correctly and I scaled it up.

Any help to get this project working will save me alot of headaches of redoing it.

Regards

Ian

40 REPLIES 40
Message 2 of 41

What happens if you set Do not Capture Design History?

Design History.png

BRep to T-Splines.png

Message 3 of 41

Hi

I just tried that. It seems to change it only a little.

What seems to work is removing the scaling out of the timeline, back to when the Head form was small. I seem to get back to the original form and can edit it.

It seems like the scaling knocks the sculpt command out of order for some reason. It looks like the best thing to do is create the Head and when complete, scale it up.

It doesn't sound right that I have to do that somehow.

Regards

Ian

Message 4 of 41

Convert BRep back to T-Spline.

Message 5 of 41

In the Datapanel you should be able to open earlier versions of your design . Maybe one of those does not exhibit this problem> I am not sue how the design got into this state,.
Did you delete the timeline I. this design previously and then re-enable it .

Edit: I looked a little closer at the the design. The head is still there in T-Spline form. So to do this the right way is to first calibrate the canvases to the right size and then maybe re-align them.

Then you scale up the T-Spline head to fit the canvases.

Then and only then you should continue modeling the T-Spline

EESignature

Message 6 of 41

Hi

So after rescuing the Head so that I can continue to work on it, there are two questions that I have to continue.

MD Head.JPG

This is where I am at at the moment. I was working on the eyes and I was multiplying the squares to create more detail. But the eyes need to be a specific sharpness so I was wondering if I am better cutting the eyes out and creating a new tspline for them?

You will see what I mean from this picture:

60804450_2444416192447810_4843772010855137280_n.jpg

The second question, is how do I thicken the head from the thin body to say 6mm thick inside? It doesn't seem to allow me to use a thicken tool?

I have attached the file as is for you to look at.

Help is always greatly appreciated.

Regards

Ian

Message 7 of 41

You may want to lay an eye on this screencast 😉

EESignature

Message 8 of 41

Hi

Your screencast is brilliant. It highlighted alot of things I had not done from the start.

I couldn't work out how to mirror the work so now I know how to do, as it was creating headaches repeating the adjustments on both sides.

I was working with the rounded edges not the square edges and can see clearly how the square edges are cleaned up by what you did.

And the eye, that is so brilliant, and so easy the way you did it. Thats exactly how they need to look, although smaller.

I will work on the fusion file and post my modifications but I imagine I will need help with the other parts such as the rest of the head as in the chin area and neck.  I will make adjustments and then repost.

The head will be 3d printed if I finish it, so I need to keep the head non solid but just a minimal wall thickness.

But you are awesome, this will be invaluable in helping continue with the Head.

Thanks

Regards

Ian

Message 9 of 41

Hi

Here is my version based on your screencast. I think I got there with some slight differences.

MD Head 3.JPGMD Head 2.JPG

I seem to have a ghost shadow when I am in the Sculpt menu. Do you know how to get rid of that all.

But the next thing is I would like to thicken the inside surface a little and you mentioned that I need to sort out that lip that runs around the base of the head. Would you be able help with that at all with another screencast. That works well with me as I can run it step by step and make the changes.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards

Ian

Message 10 of 41

You really should check that you don't have any overlapping/self intersecting geometry in your model. This is easy to see (for me at least). IF you model is "clean" in box view mode it usually will convert without problems.

Screen Shot 2019-11-19 at 8.17.53 AM.png

EESignature

Message 11 of 41

Opps

I fiddled with the eyes in the rounded view and didn't go back to the box view as is obvious.

Now the fun will be to clean the eyes up in box view.

Sorry about that.

Actually it seems worse than the rest of the Head adjustments to fix. Is it better to go backwards and redo it?

Regards

Ian

Message 12 of 41

@ianhughes7UFVF wrote:

...I seem to have a ghost shadow when I am in the Sculpt menu. Do you know how to get rid of that...

un-check ghosted result body in preferences

ghosted result body.png

Message 13 of 41

@ianhughes7UFVF wrote:

Sorry about that.

Ha, no need to apologize to me. Apologize to your T-Spline 😉

The screencast  turned out to be a little longer. I firs do some minor adjustments and then get the head to more closely follow the shapes in the canvas. I fix the eyes as well.

Thickening such a design can be tricky, but for 3D printing I would guess the way thickness does not need to be overly consistent.

With these relatively sharp edges thickening with the command in the surface menus will quickly fail when you apply any practical dimension.

So I am using the thicken command in the Sculpt menu. This is static and if you want to change it afterward scan be very tricky. I use this because the areas around the eyes create self intersection geometry, which I fix manually.

For 3D printing and given that this is internal geometry that should be OK.

Working on the internals of such hollow object I prefer to do In Blender, because Blender has vastly better tools. For example you can hide parts of a mesh. Her I help myself with section analysis from the Inspect menu.

EESignature

Message 14 of 41

Hi

I am gobsmacked. You are the man. Unbelievable.

You have made such a good job of sorting the Head, I am so impressed.

🙂 🙂 🙂

Now the fun part is me replicating your work.

All my fusion work has been for either for myself to build or share with others for free. The time you have taken I am very grateful for.

I plan to spend the evening going through the screencast again and step by step learn how to do this.

I couldn't just carry on with your work can I :). Only joking.

But there is one thing, and that is the order to working in the square shapes getting the tsplines correct and following smooth line. I will post what I do after tonights homework.

Your time is very appreciated.

Regards

Ian

Message 15 of 41

@ianhughes7UFVF wrote:

I couldn't just carry on with your work can I :). Only joking.

You could, The model was attached to my last post 😉

EESignature

Message 16 of 41

MedDroid Head 2 v3.png

EESignature

Message 17 of 41

Man

I just fell off my chair, they had to call a code blue at the hospital 🙂

That is just ..................................perfect.

This project was for a r2d2 starwars community that have made most star wars figures except this which is the medical droid.

I had the body done, which was mostly workable with the chest and waist being lofts.

Torso Split 3.JPG

With the head it will be a great finished project and a first out there for 3d printing. I share all my work for free and never sell it. I love sharing and people building their projects.

But what you have done with the head is brilliant.

I love it.

Regards

Ian

Message 18 of 41

Hi

I definitely plan to correct my version of the Head to gain the experience of refining things like you did.

I would happily use yours but I think I definitely need to learn this as I know I have other projects I have been asked to do, like a Cyberman helmet. So the experience is unvaluable.

But its such a great work you provided and I am soo grateful.

Regards

Ian

Message 19 of 41

Hi

I am slowly working through your screencast.

I have got to the part that you delete two tsplines at the back bottom and then use a control key to recreate two new ones.

I carn't seem to replicate that process, this is where I am at:

Head 1.JPG

Would you be able to advise me what keys you used to extend two new splines?

Regards

Ian

Message 20 of 41

To extrude new T-Spline geometry and not just extend/stretch existing edges you need to hold down the ALT key on a Windows computer or the Option Key on a Mac, which is what I am using.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report