Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Global variables, equations and dimensions

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
maikelg
51134 Views, 20 Replies

Global variables, equations and dimensions

I would like to see a feature where you can add global dimensions, equations and variables for your model so that you for example can assign them to your sketch dimensions. When you change the global dimensions, equations or variables it wil be updated througout the model etc. to make easier and faster changes to your model.

Labels (3)
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
maikelg
in reply to: maikelg

I think I allready found it.

image_1.png

image_2.png

image_3.png

Message 3 of 21
schneik-adsk

GREAT!

Kevin Schneider
Message 4 of 21
schneik-adsk

Changing to solution provided, don't want to misrepresent this as implemented based on idea station submission.

Kevin Schneider
Message 5 of 21
basm_abdrabbo

Driven Dimensions are not captured in the Parameters window.

Message 6 of 21
changedsoul

Is there a work around for Driven Dimentions getting captured?

Message 7 of 21
bratwiz
in reply to: schneik-adsk

Hello,

I don't think this is a solved issue. One of the problems with parameters is that they exist in the same history / undo timeline as all of the other operations. So if you go back in the timeline to a point before the parameter was added, it won't be there to use. If there is a reason that it must be this way (and I can conjecture a few) then perhaps you could simply add a flag in the parameter modify window to indicate whether you're adding "Global" parameters which exist outside of the timeline, versus parameters which are bounded by the timeline.

I have had this particular problem on a number of projects where the idea of various parameters tend to emerge organically from the project being designed. 

Message 8 of 21
HughesTooling
in reply to: bratwiz

If you roll the timeline back all parameter created are available but if you click undo after creating a parameter it is removed. Don't see the undo behaviour as wrong though as you might change a parameter and want it changed back.

Here you can see parameters created after where the timeline pointer is positioned.

Clipboard02.png

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 21
bratwiz
in reply to: HughesTooling

Sure, and I thought about that too. The solution for that is easy enough. Let the editor have its own undo/redo stack like any other type of editor would.

Here's another perspective-- if you went to add/edit items in your tools library, you'd expect them to be there and available at any position in your timeline, wouldn't you?

Message 10 of 21
julian.tilbury

I very limited work around is provided by an free add-on "Parameter I/O" that allows parameters to be read and written from/to file.

It will only help with undo, and planning. Write the parameter file, undo, read the parameter file. That way you will still have the

parameters you "undid".

It won't work with the timeline; its a horrid kludge; and Parameter IO is a quick and dirty piece of software with no error handling

that was written to demonstrate the API, and has hung around because its useful.

Message 11 of 21
bratwiz
in reply to: julian.tilbury

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Message 12 of 21
jared2HLDX

Hello moderators, is this still not an option? It's pretty essential to have global variables across an entire project. Any idea when this will be available?

Message 13 of 21
Phil.E
in reply to: jared2HLDX

Global parameters are available via Derive.

Workflow

1. Create an empty design
  2. Add global parameters to the parameters table
  3. Make them all Favorites
  4. Save it as Global Parameters

Start a new design

• Use Insert > Derive
  • Pick "parameters" option
  • Select the Global Parameters design

The global parameters will appear in your design.

Derive Help article

Does this help?

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 14 of 21
martin.kudlacek
in reply to: Phil.E

Phil, you just saved me from insanity. I was looking for this for some time now. 

Just a tiny little improvement to get this right - when I am typing down the parameter name to some field, it doesn't "autosuggest" it, as with the locally created parameters. I need to know the full name. If that could be fixed, it would make it lot more easy to use.

Thanks,

Martin

Message 15 of 21
Phil.E
in reply to: martin.kudlacek

If named parameters are favorites :star: the search function brings them up without the full name.

In a design with derived parameters, they appear in the model parameters area and are not by default favorites.

What is your expectation? That a favorite parameter would also be favorite when it is put into another design using Derive? Glad to hear your thoughts on this.

In the meantime, find the global parameter and make it favorite after inserting it, you should have a better time with it.

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 16 of 21
ritste20

+1 from me on automagically favoriting derived parameters if they are favorited in the source.

Regards,

Steve Ritter
Manufacturing Engineer

AutoCAD/Draftsight
Inventor/Solidworks
Fusion 360
Message 17 of 21
Phil.E
in reply to: ritste20

Thanks. I logged an improvement ticket for this inconsistency. 

FUS-84454FUS-84454

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 18 of 21
TrippyLighting

+1 from me as well.

Peter Doering
Message 19 of 21
volkerEF9NS

Good morning from Germany …

I have tried this solution, and it works - sort of 🙂

Maybe a misunderstanding on my part, therefor two questions:

1. The variables in the second design, that where I did a “insert derive”, have been renamed and are suffixed with “_Ref”.  Can this suffix be altered or, better yet, suppressed altogether?
  2. when the Parameters in the first design are modified and the design is saved, they are not automagically altered in the second design, instead I need to push a button the initiate a refresh.  Is this how it is supposed to be?

with best regards

Volker Bandke

Message 20 of 21

No.

Yes.

Peter Doering

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report