Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting to know the Event Simulation study type in Fusion 360 Ultimate

24 REPLIES 24
Message 1 of 25
MikeSmell_ADSK
8074 Views, 24 Replies

Getting to know the Event Simulation study type in Fusion 360 Ultimate

Hey there Fusion users,

By this time, I am sure many of you have heard about the release of Fusion 360 Ultimate. As part of this release, we have made a ton of updates to the Simulation workspace. One of the coolest additions has to be the Event Simulation study type. Event Simulation is a powerful analysis tool that is intended to help you solve problems with complex contact, large motion and deformation and nonlinear material. In simpler terms, if you are trying to test your design against a drop or impact test, look at how a snap fit connection might work, or if what happens when your design breaks, Event Simulation is probably a good place to start.

To help you get started, our team has put together 5 sample models to help you get a feel for how Event Simulation models are typically setup and the types of results to expect. These models can be found in the Simulation Samples section of the Data Panel. They are ready to run, simply save them to your project, press solve and see for yourself how Event Simulation can help you better understand your design.

samples.jpg

As you begin your journey with Event Simulation, feel free to reach out with questions or feedback. We are eager to learn about the types of problems you are looking to solve.

Happy Simulating!

Mike Smell, Jeremy Wiesner and Lee Taylor

Axe Chop

Axe chop.jpg

The axe chop model predicts what will happen if you take an axe to a stack of wooden boards. The axe is modeled using a rigid body and is given an Initial Linear Velocity in the direction of the boards. There are 7 stacked, independently modeled boards resting on steel blocks. As you can imagine, there’s lots of complicated contact that goes on with this model. Eventually the axe will strike the boards, and since the boards are modeled independently each board can potentially contact the other boards. Furthermore, if you break through the top board, the axe will propagate down and strike the next board below. This may sound like a burden to setup, but with Event Simulation the contact couldn’t be easier to define; the Global Contacts feature will take care of all of this automatically for you. Once this feature has been enabled, you’re ready to solve! (Approximate Runtime: 30 minutes)

Projectile Impact

Projectile Impact.png

A cylindrical-shaped projectile is launched towards a square block using the Initial Linear Velocity load type. Contact was enabled with a single click of a button using the Global Contacts feature. Open the model and try to guess what’s going to happen before you run it! Note that both objects in this model use a nonlinear stress-strain curve for their material, and element deletion is enabled with a failure strain of 25% (strain equal to 0.25). When you get the results back, don’t forget to try the Slice Plane option under the Results button to see what’s going on inside the objects during the impact. (Approximate Runtime: 10 minutes)

Quarter Symmetric Extrusion

Extrusion.png

This is a great example of how we can use the Event Simulation study to predict the behavior of manufacturing processes, such as metal extrusion. This is a quarter-symmetric model, which is a good way to reduce simulation runtime for large models. The copper forming material is pressed through the die, which is modeled using a rigid body. When you animate the results you can see the forming material changing shape as its flows through the die. This is also a great example of how complex contact can trivially be defined and simulated using the Event Simulation study. (Approximate Runtime: 30 minutes)

Square Peg in a Round Hole

Square Peg Round hole.png

Have you ever heard the “square peg in a round hole” idiom? You may have thought this was impossible, but not with Event Simulation! This is another example that leverages quarter-symmetry to reduce the solver runtime. The slightly too-large square peg is pressed down into the circular hole, at which point the square peg comes into contact with the edge of the hole. Nonlinear material properties are defined for both parts of this model. As the parts collide, plastic deformations develop causing the peg to permanently deform inward and the hole to stretch outward. (Approximate Runtime: 30 minutes)

Three Plate Impact

3 plate impact.png

Event Simulation is the perfect study type for predicting the behavior for all sorts of impact events. This model predicts the behavior of a common laboratory experiment: a projectile (often a bullet) impacting a series of successive metal plates at a high velocity. The goal is to determine if the series of metal plates can successfully stop the momentum of the projectile. In this sample model, the small titanium disc is given an Initial Linear Velocity in the direction of three aluminum plates, and contact is automatically generated by simply using the Global Contacts feature. Watch what happens when the disc punctures the first plate; this shows the powerful automatic contact feature of Event Simulation. As elements are deleted and the model is torn apart, the contact surfaces are automatically rebuilt and refined to adapt to whatever is happening in the simulation. (Approximate Runtime: 70 minutes)

Labels (1)
24 REPLIES 24
Message 21 of 25
Anonymous
in reply to: MikeSmell_ADSK

Mike,

Are Fusion model files of the two sample models you presented below available for me/us to study and process?  These appear to be two very good examples of models typically requiring an implicit solution vs. an explicit one due to the slower and longer events... assuming there were in fact, slow and long.  Because, as you know, forging, forming, clamping, gripping, etc are critical events to simulate but are not typically handled efficiently with explicit solvers due to the small time step and large amount of steps/processing required... and as such, would constitute good evidence that the Fusion event simulation solver technology is more robust than many of us think!  @pier-olivier.duval; @Anonymous; @John_Holtz

large (1).pnglarge.png

Message 22 of 25
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Sorry Mike,  I did read more of the thread for your message and found your direction to the Fusion data section, where indeed, I found the model files.  Thanks for that.

Message 23 of 25
Anonymous

I need some help. I can't get this event simulation to run

The background story = These components are crucial parts of a 3D printer. They behave more or less as expected during normal operation but we've had issues during shippment were the parts are bent beyond functioning or even broken. Main suspect is the impact when the box is dropped for which we've made modifications to the packaging itself. Still, I'd like to reinforce these parts as much ad possible and need to study what's happening at the moment of impact

I'm trying to simulate a drop test for these component only that are part of a bigger assembly but I keep getting this error message that the simulation would take longer than allocated time for previews.

I get what the the message is saying, but I´ve tried several different settings but no luck. The mesh isn't too dense and I can't tell what is it that I'm doing wrong and fusion and the Internet aren't being helpfull on how to fix it

This is the *very* simplified model of the two parts I'm interested in from the sub-assemblyThis is the *very* simplified model of the two parts I'm interested in from the sub-assembly

this is the latest error message for the last settings I triedthis is the latest error message for the last settings I tried

Message 24 of 25
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I would have to disagree, my example is elon musk. You don't need a piece of paper to do the impossible.

Message 25 of 25
2554428C

Hi,

where can i find these simulation files?

thank you

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report