Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cable Sectional Analysis

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
SlawsonEngineering
2169 Views, 20 Replies

Cable Sectional Analysis

I am trying to compress a rubber bumper with a force in non-linear analysis, but it keeps failing.  I simply constrained it on one side, and pushed on the other.  I can share the model if you provide me with your email.

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21

Hi @SlawsonEngineering,

I haven't tried using this before but I think you can click on my profile name and send a private message to me through the forum with the model.  If that doesn't work my email is listed in my profile on the right.  I'll Take a look at the model, if there is anything I can help with I'll give suggestions or I'll bring a colleague that is more suited to the issue.

Regards,
Todd

Todd Alford
Sr. Learning Content Developer

Message 3 of 21

Todd,

I am somewhat new to this program and site, and I am having issues finding your email.  Can you message it to me on here?

Message 4 of 21

Hi @SlawsonEngineering,

My email address is just my username @autodesk.com.  Firstname.Lastname.  Shoot me the model and I can take a look at what is going on or get it to a colleague.

Regards,

Todd

Todd Alford
Sr. Learning Content Developer

Message 5 of 21

Hi @SlawsonEngineering - 

I am the Product Manager for the SIM workspace for Fusion and @todd.alford asked me to jump in and help out with this model. 

I have a few questions for you.

1. Do you know how much compression will occur in this part? i.e. from 2 inches tall, to some shortened height? 

2. I see you have totally fixed the bottom of this bushing, however, in reality is it fixed, or can it simply not move in the direction opposite the load? i.e. can the circumference change at the contact face? 

3. The Mooney Rivlin constants that you using, are they based on the material you are actually using for this physical part and are the loads applied to the model realistic for that material? i.e. would this material survive a physical test in the way you have it loaded? 

I ask these questions because large deformation analyses of rubber materials are sometimes tricky and how they are setup in a Simulation vs. how they are used in real life is very important. 

I am looking at the model now and should have some additional perspective on this later today. 

Thanks, 

Mike

Message 6 of 21

Hey Mike thanks for jumping in!  I really appreciate it.  I will try to answer your questions to the best of my knowledge below.

1. Do you know how much compression will occur in this part? i.e. from 2 inches tall, to some shortened height?  

We actually tested this in my racecar and we would expect up 0.75"-1" of deflection at a 1600lb-2000lb load.

2. I see you have totally fixed the bottom of this bushing, however, in reality is it fixed, or can it simply not move in the direction opposite the load? i.e. can the circumference change at the contact face?

No, it should have been modeled as a sliding contact as the diameter is allowed to grow on that plate.  My mistake.  In reality, it just can move in the direction opposite the load, and has to be stable radially.

3. The Mooney Rivlin constants that you using, are they based on the material you are actually using for this physical part and are the loads applied to the model realistic for that material? i.e. would this material survive a physical test in the way you have it loaded?

I received the Mooney Rivlin constants from Todd.  I don't have the experience or the knowledge to determine whether they are correct.  I was just hoping to solve it and then change the shape of the model to determine the stress and deformation differences.  Is that a standard model for say urethane out there somewhere?

Message 7 of 21

@SlawsonEngineering

What is the actual material of the rubber bushing? Do you have any details on it? 

Message 8 of 21

@SlawsonEngineering

I would also ask what your final goal is? Are you looking to change the shape using the same material to change the amount of deflection? Are you looking to understand how different materials will deflect more or less under a given load?

Message 9 of 21

Mike, 

I am unsure of the exact material details because it is a patented product that I am purchasing.  See the link below, the most I know is that it is a thermoplastic elastomer.

My goal is this:  

Many of the race cars in our industry currently use a solid urethane bushing similar to the model I sent you in that model.  The new bushing I am proposing is actually hollow in the center, which the company says allows for less material damage and longer life.  I am trying to solve the two models to show the differences in deflection and stress to help prove the new bushing is better and help my business case.  If I can get material properties that are close, I think just changing the shape will help me prove a lot. 

Message 10 of 21

@SlawsonEngineering

Thanks for the information. It looks like the link is missing, but I can provide some additional guidance for you based on the testing I have been doing and looking at your total assembly more closely. 

Based on the load and amount of deflection you mentioned, I have a material from an old training manual we had for one of our other tools that seems to behave reasonably close to your expected outcome that I am using for some further testing right now. We never had the exact material spec, so I cannot confirm how close it is to what you are using, but it allowing me to move forward. 

That said, based on the desired deflections you are expecting, we are going to need to approach the problem differently that your original setup. If you look at the attached image, with 0.75" of displacement, we are already missing the true behavior that would be present in the context of your assembly, with the top surface moving below the tapered surface. In reality, the top plate would hold this all in a flat state. Because of this, the upper part will need to be included in the simulation and contact will need to be defined. It is important to note that this will add another level of complexity to this solution. I will work on getting this setup for you throughout the day. Stay tuned. 

Displaced Shape.png

Message 11 of 21

Any updates on this Mike?

Message 12 of 21

Hi @SlawsonEngineering

Sorry for the delay. I had to collaborate with our solver team on this, as I encountered some issues along the way with the setup. Rubber contact problems like this are tricky.

As I had mentioned in a previous post, based on the amount of compression you were looking for, applying the load just to the top surface was not going to give the proper behavior, so this needed to be modeled as an assembly with the top and bottom plates and the center shaft. See the following image. As you test other shapes, you will likely want to use a similar approach where you model all of the parts that will drive the contact and leverage symmetry where possible to simplify the solution. 

If you recall, I mentioned that I had some Mooney Rivlin data from an old training manual. I am using that for this exercise, you will be able to see the material data in the Fusion Material library for this file. Use the Manage Physical Materials option under the Material drop down, select the Mooney Rivlin Example model and look at the properties on the Advanced tab. I will point out that this material looks to be about twice as stiff as what your material is, as the force required to compress the bushing higher than what your measurements. This material is probably fine as you start to compare this shape to other shapes and are looking at the performance of the shapes against each other, however, if you are looking to get detailed stress and strain results for the bushing, you will need to provide more accurate material data. 

In addition to using the Mooney Rivlin material, and the quarter symmetric version of the assembly, I needed to make a few other tweaks to the setup. 

1. Before meshing the model, select Manage>Settings and go to the Mesh heading. Expand Advanced settings and switch the Element Order to Linear. This is a trick the solver team suggested for working with Mooney Rivlin materials. 

2. After running the Automatic Contact tool, you will want to modify the contacts from Bonded to Separation. This will allow the bushing to slide as it is compressed. You may want to consider adding friction to this for a more realistic simulation. The attached file has the contacts defined as frictionless. 

3. Once you have changed your Contacts to Separation, click on the pencil icon next to each and define the following values; Max activation distance - 0.4" and Stiffness Factor = 0.01

The attached model is setup per this email and ready to run at both 0.75" and 1" of displacement. Please review the setup on each of these models and solved them to see the results as shown in the image below. 

If you have any other questions, let me know. 

Thanks for your patience. 

Mike

quarter sym.pngquarter sym results.png

Message 13 of 21

Mike,

Thanks for all the work on this.  It is very helpful.  One more question:  I did a revolve to make the bushing hollow, and tried to resolve. I didn't' change any other parameters and the solution failed.  Attached is an image of the model and the error message.  Any idea what is going on here?

Message 14 of 21

@SlawsonEngineering Can you post the F3d and I will take a look? This is the tricky part of these rubber analyses depends on the stability of the part. For example, when the plug was solid, it had much more overall stability, while making it more of a thin-walled part will make it much less stable. 

Message 15 of 21

Sorry, don't mean to be a pain, but seeing it's tricky, I have no idea where to go.  See attached.  Appreciate it as always.

Message 16 of 21

Hi @SlawsonEngineering

I have made some additional progress on your simulation, and I would like to share my findings so far. When troubleshooting these types of issues, it is often helpful to look at the problem in basic scenarios to see what is actually happening. 

The first thing I did was to try and run the problem with Bonded contact, rather than Separation contact. This greatly simplifies the problem, however, it may not give the most realistic behavior of the interaction between the top and bottom of the bushing and the metal plates. In doing this, I was able to get the problem to solve. See the following image. I have attached the model for you to review the setup. In looking at these results, I can observe that stress is being created at the contact faces, as the bonded contact is preventing the bushing from separating from the plates, which in reality would probably not happen. 

Slawson-bonded contact.png

To further validate this finding, I simplified the problem even further, to see what the bushing wants to do when not bonded, as the Separation contact was not solving. To do this, I suppressed all of the parts, expect the bushing, applied the Prescribed Translation to the top face, and a boundary condition to the bottom face to only resist motion in the vertical direction. This scenario is still a bit over-constrained, but is more representative a of a frictionless interaction with the plates, however it prevents the load face and the constraint face from tipping or separating from the "contact" surface. Again, in the image below, you can see that the "constraint" to keep the top and bottom faces horizontal are preventing the way this shape wants to behave under compression. 

Slawson - No Contact.png

In this situation, the sliding and tipping behavior that this specific shape wants to do as it is compressed starts to take this problem beyond the type of motion that the Nonlinear Static solver can handle, as the motion is not very stable. If you compare this to the previous shape, the motion that was experienced during compression was very simple, as it was just sliding. Further, sliding friction problems, in general, become a bit hard for the Nonlinear Static solver to handle, because the notion of is it sliding vs. is it sticking is rather dynamic in nature. For this shape specifically, I have worked with our dev team, and we don't think we will be able to get your a truly representative solution using Nonlinear Static for this case. 

That said, our Event Simulation solver is better suited to these more dynamic types of problems. More details on this approach in a follow up post. 

Message 17 of 21

Hi @SlawsonEngineering - 

Now on to the Event Simulation topic. This brings both good news and bad news. 

The good news is that this solver solution is much better at handling these sliding/separating contact problems with dynamic behavior. For both models, I was able to use the same setup as we were using in Nonlinear Static with friction included and get results. Please see the following images. A key note here is that this solution is time dependent and best suited for small duration events, 1 second or less is ideal, however, we are currently working on technology to improve this for longer duration events. I bring this up because the rate at which the compression occurs will have an impact on the resulting shape. If it is loaded slower, there is less likelihood that these shapes will buckle, where if they are loaded rapidly, then they might behave differently. You will see some of this behavior in the solid bushing, as it is both loaded more rapidly than what we did in Nonlinear Static and includes friction.  

Event SIM 1.pngEvent SIM 2.png

Now for the bad news. Unfortunately, when trying to do this in the current version of Fusion, I encountered some solver issues that prevented me from getting the results you see in the images above. I have since been working with our development teams to fix these problems, and these fixes will be released in a future update. I will update you on this thread when the fixes are live in production and I will share the working files with you. 

To end on some good news, once the fixes are released, this will be your most robust path forward. If you remember, we made a number of changes to various settings when using Nonlinear Static solution that we did get to work, however, that was not required to get these to work in Event Simulation.

I am sorry for the time it took for us to find a good path forward and that we have a bit more time in front of us until we can solve these types of problems in a more reliable fashion, but I think once these fixes are in place, you will have a very robust solution for modeling these types of problems.

Thanks,

Mike Smell

Product Manager

Fusion 360 

Message 18 of 21

Mike,

I appreciate all the time you put into this.  Would you prefer me to close this post (accept as a solution) or keep it open for communication once the solver updates are implemented?

Message 19 of 21

@SlawsonEngineering

Please leave it open until we ship the release and I post the files for you to run. 

Thanks, 

Mike Smell

Message 20 of 21

Hi @SlawsonEngineering

Sorry for the delay, but now that the September updates have shipped, I wanted to share versions of your files for you to run and review. These models are setup in Event Simulation with contact and friction and the solver fixes are mentioned are now live. 

Let me know if you have any questions and feel free to set this post to resolved after you have reviewed the models. 

Thanks, 

Mike Smell

Product Manager - Fusion 360

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report