Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a torus shape to a flat face

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
1154 Views, 3 Replies

Adding a torus shape to a flat face

Hi

Not been using Fusion long but looking forward to learning more about it, great software so far, but I need a helping hand if possible.

I have created a simple lid shape, I will add a thread to the inside so that it fits over a metal tin. I have 3D printed the first part of the design and it works quite well and it fits the tin really well, but it looks very plain, very straight on the face of the side of the lid..

What I would like to do is add like a torus shape around the outside of the lid and then add a pattern to help with grip. But I cannot think of a way to add the bulge to the lid face I think it may be because the thickness of the face of the tin is too thin (2mm) to add a chamfer, but when I try to make it thicker, the thread I'm using doesn't fit, because I need to add a filet to the threads to lower the over all height otherwise it doesn't screw on easily. I have added a picture of the part. The tin has very shallow threads so I have to knock the top of the of thread off using a chamfer. Probably not explained myself very well, but I thank you for any help that anyone can offer me.

I did wonder if my idea was wrong at the start, I drew two circles, one at 72mm then another at 70mm. I extruded the inner one to 1.5mm then extruded the outer as a join to 12mm. Would I have been better off starting with a torus then adding a circle on the top to form a lid shape? I am open to suggestions for a better way of doing what it is I am trying to accomplish.

Appreciate all help and pointers.

Regards

Duncan

Fusion.jpg

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
lichtzeichenanlage
in reply to: Anonymous

Revolve is your friend. Sketch the profile you want to have (I used an arc in the screencast) and revolve the profile around an axis. I used Project -> Intersect to get the right place for the profile and later Project -> Project / include to get the outer point of the revolved form for the cutout. 

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: lichtzeichenanlage

lichtzeichenanlage,

That's amazing, thank you so much, I would have never thought about that way of doing it. I bow your your greater knowledge, and once again thank you for the time you spent in teaching me what I needed to know.

Kind Regards

Duncan

Message 4 of 4
lichtzeichenanlage
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous: That's so kind of you, but I'm just a beginner too. This community has so many skilled members that it is a great place to ask questions. To give some time back that others spend on my questions, to gain my skills and to get an idea of the mechanics of F360 I'm trying to answer questions.Sometimes my answers are fine, sometimes a more skilled member jumps in and shows a better or more correct way to answer the question. On both ways I learned something.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report