Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3d printed wing design help

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
cferguson4DPQJ
846 Views, 5 Replies

3d printed wing design help

Hello. I'm attempting to design my own 3d printed wing as a replacement for my supercub. I was following the suggestions in https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-design-validate/lofting-from-intersecting-edges/td-p/64431... It was not quite working for me. As I kept tinkering I found my geomety to be flawed, as such, I changed the method I used for the plane faces used to sketch the ribs.

Now I am nearly there. When I attempt to loft the front of the wing I have a little distortion, but the rear two segments I am happy with. After that I need to give them a thickness of 0.4mm. Followed by internal ribs and ailerons.

Thanks to davebYYPCU for the help so far. As he requested I have started a new post and attached my project as it sits right now.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
davebYYPCU
in reply to: cferguson4DPQJ

I created the smooth wingtip in this file last night, done as mentioned in the PM.

My file has three solid bodies for the tip, but I see you are using Patch now.

So far Loft is not behaving in your file, after making my construction, will keep trying.

see what you think.

Message 3 of 6
cferguson4DPQJ
in reply to: davebYYPCU

Yeah I believe they used the patch environment in the last thread about this. I tried editing all my sketches to give a -0.4mm offset then extrude/loft the faces. That didn't work.I believe my geometry is good now, but I can't seem to get that wing tip quite right. Then I've been playing around trying to get thickness to it and it's not letting me either.

Might need to take a day off from this and give my self a breather, lol.

Edit: Success! I have a desirable shape for my wing tip... Now how do I add thickness... seems to generate an error.

Message 4 of 6
davebYYPCU

Not checked you new file, 

I was able to create the rear section 0.4mm thick.  starting with a solid loft, 

Patch > Offset the body, with -0.4mm and a second one with zero offsets.

Then project the edges of these surfaces to a new sketch 

close the profile, and create a patch for the tip rib surface, and another for the Spar face.

Stitched together and you with have the rear done, 

I am still unable to Loft the front section with my work in your file I am working in.Wtipshell.PNG

Message 5 of 6
cferguson4DPQJ
in reply to: davebYYPCU

alright... so I decided to toss the second attempt and draw a new one... differently. I sketched everything with a 0.4mm profile right out of the gate. Now i'm still having lofting problems.. lol. 

attached is my latest try.

Message 6 of 6
davebYYPCU

Hi Cory, 

After the PM, I got it to work.

There was an error in the Main spar profile of the tip.  The top rib curve was not connected to the profile, zoom in and couldn't see it, but I deleted the 1mm line, then Project > Intersected the top rib curve into the main spar sketch and then joined the 1mm line to it again. Broke the rear loft, had to reselect the missing bits,

Loft then worked, but the shell doesn't if I try to delete both or either faces,

so I shelled the body, 0.4mm and now you have two internal ribs in the wingtip, figured you would need them.

Use section analysis, to see the internals, but this file is as I think you wanted

read the time line and Edit Feature to see my settings, used the light bulbs, for clarity.

Can do a screencast tomorrow night if stuck.

See if that helps, 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report